A 40 year old man takes an overdose of his antidepressant tablets and is seen in the Emergency Department. He is medically fit for discharge. He has bipolar affective disorder. He is tearful and feels hopeless about his future.
Which is the most appropriate next management step?
- Arrange liaison psychiatric assessment
- Arrange psychiatric outpatient follow-up
- Discharge to the care of his general practitioner
- Referral to clinical psychologist
- Referral to local alcohol treatment team
A. Arrange liaison psychiatric assessment
Psychiatric assessment of patients who present post overdose is important. This will help to determine an appropriate management plan and assess risk. Patients with bipolar depression and suicide attempts are high risk and require further psychiatric assessment.