All I found is people with CS attempts

Since most of you have their eyes on the upcoming match

Back in 2016 when I applied to Pediatrics Residency match for the first time, the fact that I have usmle step 2 CK attempt made me desperate looking for a hope, I was looking everywhere for people experiences matching with attempts

All I found is people with CS attempts

So here is my experience

I am a Libyan citizen, Graduated from Tripoli university in 2014

Usmle Scores in order

CK failed

Step 1 230

Usmle step 2 CS PASS

Usmle step 2 CK 2nd attempt 239

Had 5 months of US clinical experience between community hospitals and clinics

I applied for pediatrics on 2016, got 5 interviews, I was able to go to 3 of them ( one of which gave me the impression that they want me so bad and clearly said “looking forward to start working with you in July” )

My application for visa status changing from B1 to F1 was denied and by then I had already overstayed my visa by 4 months!

I left the country without finishing my interviews, applied again for visa got rejected and I didnt match

Then Trump issued visa ban on Libyan citizens which is still effective until today!

I had to go back to libya, jobless, broke with debts of 12000$

I applied for pediatrics residency in Qatar ( Hamad Medical Corporation) which is ACGMEI accredited program and got matched, finished 3 years of training, was in the Pediatrics Chiefs office and applied for pediatrics again

Pre Matched at Icahn School of Medicine Mount sinai/ Elmhurst and started working about a week back!

My advice to everyone:

-Scores are not everything but they do matter, however all you can do about them is to prepare yourself well for the exams but once you are done with the tests, then its done and there is nothing you can do about them, so stop worrying too much about your scores and asking everyone about your chances … etc

-once your are done with your scores, your CV and Personal statement plays a major role and will speak about you, so make the effort in writing good ones, send them to at least 3-4 people to review them and be open to criticism and adjustment

-dont submit letters of recommendation that you don’t know/not 200% sure that they are excellent and exceptional. PERSONALLY I believe that An honest personalized letter from an overseas physician would be better than a generic letter from a USA physician

-do put the time and effort filtering programs on your own, dont look for groups, apps and previous years list. You can use the previously mentioned as an initial guide but you have to look into programs websites on your own. That will not only save you huge money ( 15-25$/program) but also will give you an idea about what these programs look for and the types of residents they got

-believe in yourself, take the time to plan, as for advices, look for connections in a polite way be flexible and accept rejections

-during interviews dont beg programs to take you and ask them useless questions like ( what are you looking for in a candidate), but ask about the things you look for in the program

-before applying, ask yourself wether you will take a prematch offer if you got it? This will save you huge time and efforts

-stop asking people about your chances, you are different and the only way to find out is to do it all the way

If you are going to try it then go all the way, otherwise dont even start!!

Best of luck to all of you