As many of u have requested me for a 2nd review

As many of u have requested me for a 2nd review, here it is. It’s not at all similar to the first one because I don’t have an outline for it. Also, I’m going to Start with my mistakes after a very brief review. So here you go!

I am a fresh graduate-2018. I consider myself a good student but I didn’t study much in my medical school, focused more on memorization than on concepts. That’s why it took me longer to prepare for step1 as I took a long time to build my concepts using Kaplan.

Prep start date: June’18 Test date: 30th April’19 Actual prep duration is 8 (7+1) months.

Step1 score 252

Resources: Kaplan (annotation in FA)>pathoma*2>FA’18>Uworld>FA revision 1>UW self notes revision>FA-R2>FA-R3>test. Revision duration=1 month.

My mistakes:

#1. Spent too much time worrying about resources and didn’t value uworld.

ü 1st Minimise your resources to basics:

1. Source to study- if u have good concepts go with review videos= Boards and beyond otherwise full-on Kaplan

2. Pathoma- must

3. Review book- First Aid MUST

4. Qbank- UWorld MUST

ü 2ndcomplete Uworld round #1

ü Then list your weak topics. Answer whether you need an extra resource or second round of uworld to get better. I’ll always suggest uworld.

#2. Did not plan Kaplan at all. I was damm slow as if I have all the time in the world and because of that, I could not do uworld second round.

ü 1stof all I’m not saying Kaplan is not necessary. I think it’s the best source out there to build your concepts

ü But you must plan it.

1. Already have few concepts: 2-3 months

2. Otherwise 3-4 months.

#3. I feared to start Qbank before finishing the course once.

ü Uworld is a resource to help you memorize the course.

ü Don’t wait to finish all topics once to start uw especially if u think you’re going slow.

#4. Forgot to take my earplugs.

My successful steps:

#1: I focused on uworld only. Made it my world for 2 months. Made sure I read every word and remembered it. Yes, I started it very late but when I did I was very very thorough because I realized soon I don’t need any other extra resources to cover radiology or histo or ecg etc. uworld was more than enough. 3400 Quest is not a joke guys. If u do it properly its more than enough. Actually, it’s too much, you cannot possibly remember it all.

#2. I only used to google to clear my doubts. And for the musculoskeletal unit. Both uw and FA lacks there.

Exam day experience:

Don’t be afraid of the exam. It was possible. I did not felt anywhere that its out my league. There were some topics I did not know but I was able to answer it by ruling out options. Also, there were no weird questions like nbme’s. All images or audios were easy; I guess they just want to know that you know how to read them. The exam is made for people who understand concepts.

Prometric center was very convenient. You’re not allowed anything inside. No water. However, they did allow one person to take earplugs. I would suggest you take yours because their noise-cancelling headphones are painful and heavy.

1-hour gap is sufficient.

How to solve UWorld:

1. Use a separate device.

2. Clear out your table or have a separate station. Keep only following

o one notebook if u make notes,

o one rough notepad: to quickly write down any thoughts you have while solving uw. Ex. Any topic u think u want to revise or any other chores.

o A water bottle but drink only in periods of 1 hour.

o No phones or any other devices. No music too.

o Use library If possible to get used to background noise and movements.

o The minimum distraction you have the more u focus on uw and its explanations.

1. Read each and every word including wrong answers. Your goal is not to make a mistake if you have read the topics anywhere in uw previously. That’s how u know that you’re doing uw correctly.

2. 40 questions/day. My preference tutor plus random mode.

Save the google doc link to get any updates and have a copy.

Thank you and best of luck.