Dear fellow Plabbers, here is another dose of PLAB 1 from yesterday's exam

Dear fellow Plabbers, here is another dose of PLAB 1 from yesterday’s exam, please note that answers provided are open for discussion and I couldn’t do the editing due to time constraints, my priority is to make you familiar with the exam topic, moreover I have noticed that in the exam only two close differentials are given other 3 options are easily recognisable as crap except for some difficult question. Therefore, the technique of exclusion as previously discussed here is really helpful. I won’t be able to provide more question due to some other commitments. I wish everyone success. Good luck.
Continuation from the previous post where you can find Q1-50

1. A boy with facial and periorbital oedema with weight gain what will be found on the test- Ans: Proteinuria.
  2. A patient who is having a surgical procedure was given lidocaine/adrenaline, how does adrenaline effect anaesthesia? Ans- Prolong effect of lidocaine
  3. A patient has given 0.5% lidocaine 20 Ml for the purpose of anaesthesia, which was ineffective, how much lidocaine to be added if the highest permitted dose is 3g/kg/24 hr for the patient who is 80 kg? Ans 14, 20 ml!!
    54 In a randomized controlled trial, double-blinded there was overall 1000 participants, out of which 250 withdrew consent from placebo group, treatment arm was unchanged, reasons? Probably it was a chance effect
  4. A young man found unconscious and unkempt brought to the A/E BP 120/70, SaO2 94%…initial TX-Naloxone
  5. A patient with severe back pain and symptoms of urinary urgency and dribbling- Ca prostate.
  6. A 55-year-old hypertensive is on Ramipril, has back pain and takes Aspirin for pain what is the next step of treatment- NSAID
  7. A patient with breathless and severe chest pain, ECG shows ST elevation which analgesic is given for pain relief- Morphine IV
  8. A 48-year-old with ileocaecal tenderness, colonoscopy shows ulcers… biopsy shows lymphocytes –Dx Crohn’s disease
  9. A 60-year-old hypertensive on indapamide see haloes, and has red watery eye- Dx- Acute glaucoma.
  10. A 38 year old with hoarseness and discomfort which nerve is affected- Ans:recurrent laryngeal.
  11. A 78 year old with memory impairment and wife she he his becoming more forgetful than before, neurological examination is unremarkable…Ans- Alzeimers
  12. A 55 year old with weight loss, and a palpable supraclavicular mass Dx- Ans Gastric carcinoma
  13. A old woman with difficulty in swallowing solids but feels relieved after regurgitation what would lead to definitive diagnosis- Ans I chose Endoscopy however was confused with barium.
  14. A 35 year old lady with double vision, peripheral numbness what is the appropriate diagnostic method- Ans MRI brain (MS)
  15. A man of African descent complaint about urinary urgency , reduced appetite, PSA 2.2, creatinine was high, urea high ESR normal: Rectal exam shows nodular prostate-Ans- Ca of the prostate.
  16. A child who was treated with amoxicillin for URTI comes with ear pain, temp membrane is red Dx- Acute otitis media.
  17. A 32 year old with pain in the maxillary region and supraorbital region after a flu like illness- Dx- Sinusitis.
  18. A lady on chemo with stabbing pain in the jaw- Dx- Amtriptylline (Trigeminal neuralgia probably)
  19. A patient who is preparing for anterior resection of the rectum for cancer when to give antibiotic- And- Before the induction of the anesthesia.
  20. A patient on chemotherapy was on morphine for long duration which according to him doesn’t help him much what to add next- Ans- Oxycodone
  21. An oncology patient who was on Morphine presents with severe nausea, metoclopramide was started, he later complains about jaw twitching- Ans- Side effect of metoclopramide
  22. A builder with breathlessness, and persistant cough, chest x ray shows mediastinal mass and pleral thickness some PEF values were given , what is the cause- Ans- Asbestos exposure (Mesothelioma)
  23. A child with breathlessness who was playing with the toy next step- Ans- Laryngoscopy
  24. A 4 year old’s elder sister snatched toy from him and he went blue with no signs of breathing, he was found to be normal after few min initial management- Ans- Reassure (Breath holding spells)