Decreased glycolytic activity imapairs oxygen transport by hemoglobin due to
- Reduced energy production
- Decreased production of 2,3 - bisphosphoglycerate
- Reduced synthesis of hemoglobin
- Low levels of oxygen
Decreased production of 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate
- 2, 3 DPG is produced by an alternative pathway in glycolysis.
- If the glycolytic activity is decreased, the levels of 2,3 - DPG in RBCs will decrease.
- Decreased level of 2,3 - DPG causes :-
- Shifts the oxygen - hemoglobin curve to the left
- Increases the oxygen affinity of hemoglobin.