Dr vuha shruthi match2020 experience

Matched into IM: Step 1- 237, Step 2 CK- 231, Step 2 cs- 1stattempt, Did not take step 3 yet.

YOG 2019/ US IMG / 3 months of IM rotations/ 2months research/ 1 publication and 2 case reports/ 5 volunteering experiences.

I applied to 230 programs and got 21 invites. Attended 19 interviews- 4 prematch and 15 categorical programs. Got 2 prematch offers and declined them. I ended up ranking 14/15 match programs I got.

I wanted to share a few things I realized I could have done better myself and also things I didn’t do but thought were smart drawing from other’s experiences:

1. Try and do rotations close to the application deadline, so you are fresh in the letter writer’s mind. Around May, June, July and get the letters uploaded by end of August. It takes a maximum of 5 days for ECFMG to get the LoRs attached to your file after they are uploaded by the faculty.

2. Select LoRs strategically for each program. Based on locality (NE letter writer for NE programs) or how close your letter writer is to the PD of the program you are applying to.

3. Step 3 helps big time to get interviews.

4. What you put in your application and how you spin it to your favor is HUGE!!

5. Ask everyone you know to put in a word for you at their respective programs. CONTACTS! Work a charm and it wasn’t until I met people during interviews that I realized the importance of contacts.

6. Write personalized emails to the programs you really want to match to. It is definitely not going to hurt you. It can only be of help. You got nothing to lose.

7. Interviews are where you seal the deal. Practice the answers, not the way you say it! Be kind, be confident and sell yourself every opportunity you get.

8. Programs are looking for fit more than anything. Try to get the vibe from their website and when you go in person and try to hit those points. If the PD is giving you a review about the program, he is going to brag about their program to you and literally telling you what their program is great at. So say you are good at those exact same things using your story or life experience.

Get yourself a guide/ mentor. I had so many questions and was so confused from the very beginning of this journey to the very last minute. I have to thank Mani Kandan for all his help, guidance and support. And my study partner Star Gazer who I found in this group has been a tremendous support, my vent, friend and sister. I am so happy we got to know each other and even happier that we made it!

I can answer any questions you may have.