Hello everyone I am a medical student form Colombia and I got my STEP1 score yesterday

Hello everyone I am a medical student form Colombia and I got my STEP1 score yesterday, this group was of great help to me in my preparation and I hope my experience can help everyone who is starting this journey.

Target: +250

My score: 257

Time of preparation: 9 months (Dedicated period: 3 months).

Resources:

1. Uworld : It is a MUST for the STEP 1 preparation. There is not much to be said.

***I didn’t use Anki even though many people recommend it. The reason is that the flashcards from Uworld were easier to make, with the option to copy images or a part of the text. They have been upgrading this flashcard system (similar but not as good as Anki), I recommend to use them if you don’t mind to lose your info after your UW subscription expires.

2. First Aid : On the test day I felt at least 70% of the Qs where covered in FA.

3. Pathoma : Very good, high yield pathology videos to watch before starting FA, Dr. Sattar makes Path very easy to understand and the book has all high yield concepts already written.

4. Skecthy micro & Pharm: This resource is underrated, it is GOLDEN for visual learners, Micro and Pharm were my strongest areas in almost every NBME.

5. USMLErx qbank : It was a good Qbank to help FA information get stuck in your mind while doing FA.

6. Kaplan books (early on my preparation): Personally, I only recommend the biochemistry book with the videos. I also did anatomy, micro and immunology books but they were a waste of time. Don’t get me wrong, I have friends that have scored 250 using Kaplan course but I think B&B videos are less time consuming and have more high yield concepts.

7. B&B : This videos by Dr. Ryan are a very good resource to start with, I only used them for some difficult topics, but if I had to choose between this and Kaplan for my early prep, the answer is B&B.

8. Dirty medicine : Watched the video about the recommendations for your test day and it was very useful, as well as the “high yield images” videos.

9. Uworld biostats review : it was OK, the information is high yield, but the question format is not even close as Uworld STEP question format, I do not consider it a must.

10. 100 cases by Conrad fischer : I decided to use this resource because ethics was a weak spot for me, but realized it is not a very useful book and some explanations contradict NBME Qs.

11. Google and YouTube videos : Search new info, and mnemonics (e.g. Lymphomas translocations)

Self-assessments (In chronological order)

NBME17: 228 (Baseline)

NBME19: 217

**I realized I wanted to do all NBMEs, since the old ones were free…

NBME13: 234

NBME15:242

NBME16: 236

UWSA1: 247 (Finished Uworld first pass)

NBME20:249

NBME21: 248

NBME22: 246

NBME23: 249

UWSA2: 262 (Finished Uworld second pass)

NBME24: 247 (2 weeks before exam)

NBME18: 248 (1week before exam)

FREE 120 (old): 85% (5 days before exam at the prometric center)

UWorld:

First pass: 75%

Second pass: 94%

Test day:

I woke up at 5:30, had breakfast and head out to the prometric center. I already did the FREE120 at the prometric and I was pretty confident about the methodology and breaks. The test felt weird…. It wasn’t like any other assessment, most of the questions were easy but there were also questions that required critical thinking (some were not mentioned in FA or Uworld), and then you have a few odd QS in which the only option is pick the most educated guess. Overall, the test was doable, but I marked out approximately 15 Qs per block.

When I finished the test, I didn’t know what to expect, my reddit score predictor had me at 249 and I felt my score would fall on the low 240s range, but never thought my score was even near to my actual score of 257.

My score came out 2 weeks after I took it, and I was really happy that I achieved my goal, it was the best sensation to get this burden over my shoulders. Trust yourself, and do not stress out with the NBMEs they underestimate your score.

General thoughts and advice:

There is no special way to study for this, you need to find your own way because we all have different learning skills, BUT I can tell you that Uworld is the highest yield resource alongside with First aid. I HIGLHY RECOMMEND doing a Uworld second pass to master this resource. My other recommendation is that if you are able to do the FREE 120 at the prometric center then do it, this will give you more confidence on the test day.

Set a goal and work for it, I organized my schedules for the upcoming 2 weeks in a calendar in that way I knew what I had to do just after I woke up. Exercise and take some days off, you don’t want to reach the point of burn out.

Don’t do stupid things the day before the test, I got a massage and on the test day my neck and back were all sore, I had to medicate myself with NSAIDs and muscle relaxants lol.

I received a lot of support from my girlfriend (she encouraged me to start this process), my family and friends; surround yourself with anyone who is willing to support you this will motivate you to achieve your desired score. I hope this post help you on your STEP 1 preparation, if you have any questions leave them in the comments and I’ll be glad to answer them, you can do it good luck to you all!