Hi ACL warriors! Hope everyone is coping up well with your individual recoveries!

Hi ACL warriors! Hope everyone is coping up well with your individual recoveries! 🙏

I’m almost 5 weeks po. ACL reconstruction, meniscus trim and hamstring graft.

And I think I’m doing well. I can walk without crutches, can bend up to 120, 20 min in stationary bike, 20 min in thread mill, 20 min walking in pool etc etc.

I have a lot of good days, but I do have low days too.

Being an active person, I am missing my old self. 😞

Sometimes I get frustrated how I got myself into this situation blah blah.

Did you ever feel or wonder if you will ever get back to your old self/life? Or feel if your leg will return to what it was like it was before? Do you ever get “panic attacks” when you watch a movie or someone jumping, pivoting or just moving very fast and you suddenly feel queasy and think ugh that hurts?!! PTSD?

When does the swelling subsides?

Like I could hardly imagine or remember doing that movement anymore?

Or you simply miss walking normally?

And not watching your every steps?!

For those of you who has had op past 6 months. How are you now? Most studies says that after 6 months you will be almost back to normal, not a 💯 percent but at least 90. Is that really possible?

When does your knee loss the tightness sensation and pain?

I’m 52 years old but quite active. But I’m pretty sure that the recovery of athletes and people in their 20’s are different. And most have different recovery outcome.

But I’m still curious on the majority’s experience?

Both good and bad experience are welcome.

And what would you have done differently? Or what you learned? Or would have not done?

What is the most useful advice you can give to people who are just starting this journey?

I want to have an idea and reserve boost for rainy days specials.

7 months post op and im still struggling so bad and in so much pain and have got so much problems… might need surgery again … I ruptured my acl complety tore my miniscus and mcl and dislocated my knee … I just want this to be over and I’m so scared of how long it’ll take if it does ever go back to normal . FML

I’m so sorry to hear that. 😞 It sounds like you have more injuries. I can imagine your frustration. So Sorry. Why do you think you need another surgery?

my acl is extremely loose, and still very unstable. I haven’t had a very good PT…it’s been so rough. I just got a new one though, so that’s good, but my surgeon is really concerned and had me get a new MRI last Thursday…I have an appointment Monday with him to discuss it.

My leg is in pain constantly and is very stiff alot of the time, it’s so hard to explain the pain because it’s in so many different places, and hurts in different ways that is just strange. I’m afraid to do anything because I know my acl will easily give out with one wrong twist or fall or whatever it may be…I just really hope I can get this figured out soon, I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone 😭😭I appreciate you for your comment though
Mine is complete tear of acl, minor tear of my menicus and mild tear of mcl. I did my acl reconstruction and menicus surgery last year August.

All I can share is be positive. I am in my 6 months recovery, just received green light from the doctor to jog and run, need to build up gradually. Since my incident happened during covid, I kinda faced the dreaded day to day routine in crutches and brace, by myself, because I am staying far from family and alone. Friends are there occasionally just for a short check up.

I made my physio as something that was fun, and everytime i hit a milestone, I will celebrate it and shared the news with my family. I am always doing my physio with a smile.

Once the brace was off, I started to do sports and functional physio to get back to running. 3 km of brisk walk and 1 hour of cycling a day, and believe me when I said, I cheated sometimes.

Now, I can slowly start to do what i love to do the most. I am quite active as well.

Do you only want to hear from post-op folks? Or would you like stories from those of us on the nonsurgical route too?