How can you prevent hypothermia?
When it is cold, you should wear a hat that covers the ears and warm, dry clothing. Older people and children should take extra care to prevent hypothermia by:
- Dressing in layers and keeping warm clothes nearby
- Keeping homes at a temperature above 68° F
- Moving around when you feel cold so you can increase your body temperature
- Eating and drinking warm foods and beverages
- Wearing appropriate clothing outdoors, including hats, mittens, coats and footwear
- Taking regular breaks and coming inside to warm up whenever spending time outside