"How come my hair grows in my genitals, Ma?

"How come my hair grows in my genitals, Ma?

~ Smart Parents, questions like this are actually an opportunity to provide sexual education to children, you know ! So you should not avoid it when asked so. It is important for parents to teach sex education to children since they are young. In addition to having children understand to be the basis for making decisions about sexuality in the future, also to protect children from the risk of sexual violence. Come on, see 8 things that must be understood by Smart Parents before providing sexual education to children.

1. When is the right time to provide sexual education for children?

Provide sexual education to children as early and as often as possible. Invite children to discuss in a simple and fun way. Smart Parents do not have to set when and where the discussion takes place, do it whenever the situation supports. For example, explain parts of his body when bathing a child, explain the differences in the body of women and men when changing diapers, and so on.

1. It is natural to feel awkward

At first it would be awkward for some parents, admit to your child if you feel uncomfortable talking about sexual topics, but emphasize that you should discuss them openly because it is important for the child’s personal safety. For example, ‘’ Ouch, I’m embarrassed to answer it, but I’ll try to explain yes. 'Then answer the child’s questions gently and explain the facts in clear language and not scare the child.

If Smart Parents doesn’t know, tell your child that you don’t know and promise that you will look for it in a book or ask someone who might know it.

1. Don’t consider sex as taboo

At the age of 3-4 years, when children begin to learn to recognize their own body and compare themselves with their friends.
If you avoid or distract when your child asks, he will be reluctant to repeat similar questions and choose to seek answers from other parties who are not necessarily responsible. Parents need to get out of the taboo culture of talking about sex so that children make parents as a reference on sexual issues. Do not let children find out from friends, books or even websites on the internet that are not appropriate for them.

1. Explain sex on the positive side

Emphasize that sex is not disgusting or dirty, but rather a biological thing. Humans breed through marriage after marriage. The word marriage must be emphasized so that teenage children have an understanding that marriage is a must do before someone can engage in marital relations.

1. Sex is not only about sexual relations between men and women

Sex is not only about male-female sexual relations, Smart Parents. But also about social norms, love oneself and body given by God Almighty, reproductive health or respect for differences. Children who are sexually educated will have more respect for others who have different views with him about controversial issues such as; abortion, contraception, same sex and divorce.

1. Adjust to the age of the child

Sex education for children should be done repeatedly and continuously. For example, starting with explaining the sex organs and their functions when children aged 0-2 years, then at the age of 3-5 years provide an understanding of the differences in male and female bodies, ages 6-8 years Smart Parents can already talk about pregnancy, and so on until the child experiences puberty and adulthood. In addition, always remind children of the importance of protecting their private area.

1. Cultivate a culture of shame

It is important for parents to teach shame to children so that children can respect themselves. Teach the limits in playing with the opposite sex and give direction not to take off and change clothes in public places. Also introduce certain body parts that should not be seen and touched by others. Parts of the body include the chest, lips, reproductive organs and buttocks.

1. Grow trust

Teach children not to hide anything from parents if there is inappropriate treatment that is received or seen by the child even though the child is threatened by the offender. Establish good communication so that children do not feel reluctant to talk with parents. If parents give a sense of security to children, children will feel comfortable asking.
Dr sanjay chelhar tharparkar