How I scored “250-“ on the USMLE step 3

How I scored “250-“ on the USMLE step 3

It was quite difficult for me to find the systematic answers to my questions regarding this exam, so I dig through many forums, feedback, and opinions. Here I share my recent experience of USMLE step 3 preparation and taking. I would be glad if it helps somebody to excel in this topic.

In a nutshell : UWSA 1 – 231 (93rd), NBME 4 – 680 (high), UWSA 2 – 227 (89th), NBME 8 – 570 (good), USMLE step 3 – 249 (94th).

Timeline : in my case preparation was scattered within one year, but the net time I would estimate as about 2 mo of dedicated studying.

Background : old grad, 240-250 on steps (step 2 was taken 2 years ago), worked as an internist in Russia.

General rules : Q-banks always did in “timed random” mode. If I have done Q-bank once, the second pass just focused on the wrong questions.

Study resources :

1. Started with MTB 3, did just selected topics (weaknesses according to 2CK report), totally 50 % of this book.

2. Kaplan step 3 Q-bank, one pass, made notes of wrong concepts. Didn’t like it as found some questions outdated and low-yield. Didn’t remember the average, and I think it is irrelevant as I have finished it one year before the test.

3. UW step 3 Q-bank, one pass with notes. Liked it. 70% correct, 81st percentile (picture attached), then did behavior questions from UW. Finished UW 1 mo before the test

4. The first pass of CCS cases from UW (both written and interactive) – relaxed mode with the random notes.

5. 100 CCS cases (https://www.ccscases.com/) – did 50 %, don’t like it, because I felt that they are too exaggerating the indications for the routine low-yield tests (like always made me feel bad that I haven’t cultured the blood or urine in any mildly febrile patient or another minute mistakes).

6. The second pass of the UW interactive CCS cases, quickly, checking the mistakes and noting them. Did around 15 cases a day, to adjust me to the exam mode.

7. “Crash step 3 CCS cases” – quickly skimmed nearly 50 % of cases, just those which I felt uncomfortable with, then skimmed CCS cases from FA step 3 – it took several hours.

8. Read my notes from the Q-banks, listened to CCS cases from Archer workshop, skimmed pharm and biostat from FA 1.

9. Last month I did the MOCK exams every week, so was tracking my performance, and noticed that it was decreasing (pictures attached). Maybe I was a bit tired. So I decided to take another Q-bank – checked several free samples (MedChallenger, BoardVitals and Amboss). Liked Amboss the most (first for the huge free sample, then for quality) – did all questions for step 3 (900) and selected topics from steps 1 and 2, averaging around 60 % I guess. Was quite surprised with this Q-bank as a very good tool for my preparation. You can download an unlimited free sample for 14 days from my link or look for it elsewhere.