How to IMPROVE YOURSELF and be ready to MATCH next season?

How to IMPROVE YOURSELF and be ready to MATCH next season?

Start with being nice, humble, willing to help and approach people, also be approachable and kind to others! People can tell when you are doing something because you really mean it , or to take advantage of the situation (specially interviewers). I know in medical school a lot of people are into themselves, very competitive and don’t like to share things. THIS IS REAL LIFE, WE ARE HERE TO HELP THE WORLD AND OTHERS.

•If your friend needs your notes because he couldn’t show up to class, SHARE WITH THEM.:white_check_mark:

•If someone doesn’t understand a concept that you know very well, EXPLAIN IT TO THEM.:white_check_mark:

• If you find out but something important, DONT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. :white_check_mark:

If you are born with that kindness GREAT FOR YOU, you WILL ACCOMPLISH EVERYTHING IN LIFE and EVEN MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE.

But if you feel identify with those greedy attitudes, NOW ITS TIME TO CHANGE. It’s time to grow your EMPATHY, your KINDNESS. This will NOT ONLY HELP OTHERS, but also WILL HELP YOU with your life, finding a a job, a research position, connecting deeply with people, and WILL HELP YOU SPECIALLY WITH YOUR MEDICAL INTERVIEWS!!

All of the Pogram Directors of the places where I interviewed they told me that I would be a great resident in their program and they would really like me to there.

I DIDN’T PREPARE MYSELF FOR ANY INTERVIEW. I JUST read about the program, hospital, and some publications that the PD and associate published.

I DIDN’T PRACTICE INTERVIEW WITH ANYONE.

I just showed up and BE MYSELF.

My take point here is not about whether you should or should not prepare yourself for an interview. That not my point at all. I mean deeply that that. It’s not about being “nice” that one day or preparing for an interview. You shouldn’t just prepare for an interview, you SHOULD PREPARE FOR LIFE; which is not just a 2-4 weeks preparation process pre interview season. It’s a state of being and acting on your daily basis. Thats my point.

You can see SCORES ARE NOT EVERYTHING, this is a BIG COMBO, and your personality and attitudes PLAY A MAJOR roll in this journey

Program directors and the rest of the interviewers can sense you right away when you are a greedy person, that human that ONLY MOVES their butt if they neeed something for themselves. Please if you are committed to this USMLE journey, also commit HELPING OTHERS!

Great personalized LOR from doctors that know you very well, publications, USCE, are very very veryyyy important. I dont have to mention that, we all know it. but im showing something extra that a lot of people are lacking, and will help them a lot. Also being that kind of person, doctors will write you BETTER LETTERS, and you will meet more people, connect more with them, and have BETTER USCE/ RESEARCH opportunities as I mentioned.

I will continue posting some tips, I’m just taking my time to write all of this because I WANT YOU TO SUCCESS, to have GREAT DOCTORS, REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY, and show to the program HOW GREAT INTERNATIONAL DOCTORS ARE!! :earth_americas: :earth_africa: :woman_health_worker:t5: :man_health_worker:t2: :adult:‍⚕ :world_map:

Love you all, tons of success, keep pushing hard, YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB, even if the world is stopped because of the COVID-19 pandemic :microbe:, keep studying, keep pursuing your dreams, and CONSCIENTIZE people about this PANDEMIC. Post in your social medial, TELL people what to do in this global situation. TAKE CARE of yourself and others. STAY HOME IN QUARANTINE, perfect time to STUDY!! :muscle::muscle::facepunch::facepunch:

Best to you all!!

Sebastian Arruarana, MD

Instagram: @doctor.sebas

Follow me I’will continue posting USMLE TIPS.