I get loads of requests to look into NHS profiles

I get loads of requests to look into NHS profiles, these are the most common mistakes / issues which might put HR / consultants off your profile. Please note that it is my personal opinion and experience after discussing with consultants working in the NHS and this post is open for discussion and correction where relevant.

1. A very long description of your clinical duties when the question itself says “please give a brief description”. I have seen profiles with more than 200 words of duties and never ending explanations. Dear Doctors please bear in mind that HR( mostly) and consultants ( usually look into profiles of shortlisted candidates only) go through 100s if not more applications for a single post. So please keep your descriptions, supporting information as brief, concise and reader friendly as possible.

2. Consultants in the hospitals are busy clinicians and I don’t think they have that much time to go through all 100+ applications, presumably it’s a staged process and only shuffled, adequately scrutinized ( by medical workforce/ HR) and shortlisted applications reach consultants for them to quickly look through them.

3. Unnecessary explanations and irrelevant non medical work related experiences. Please do not mention any non medical experiences unless it is utterly important to cover any gaps or other circumstances.

4. Typo errors/ exaggeration/ irrelevant use or inappropriate choice of words/ poorly organized or informal approach. Please make sure you make a colleague/ friend/ native English speaker/ local English teacher ( no offense please I know all doctors passed English language exams but I get to read a lot of these ) etc to go through your profile if you are not sure about what to write. Please also note that writing essay is different from writing a personal biography and supporting information.

I am open for discussion, changes, addition. Please note that purpose of this post is to give an idea about dos and don’t and not criticize, judge or insult anyone .

Thank you for reading and Good luck.