I got my step1 score today and got 240

I got my step1 score today and got 240.Although it is an average score but I am happy with it. This post could be a motivation for older IMGs.This group has helped me a lot so I wanted to share my experience.

First brief info about myself . I am img from Pakistan and graduated in December 2011 and I have also done my internal medicine residency in my home country. I decided to give USMLE during final year of my training.I have already given step2 CK.

I started my preparation for step1 in November 2018 and I was working in my home country as medical officer and I took 9 months leave from government job.

Total duration of Preparation : 9 months

Resources used

1. Uworld subscription online (Did it 2 times) .70 % exam will be covered by it

2. Boards and beyond (Did it 1 time) very important for understanding FA

3. FA .2 times

I started my study system wise .i watched BnB videos of particular system, followed by first Aid and then I would do uworld mcq systemwise for that particular system. Intially I did 25 mcqs daily untimed. I would completely read all the information given in the mcq and tried to grasp its concept rather than to cram it. It took me around 6 months for first read of FA,BnB and Uworld.

After 6 months I decided to give nbme17 and I scored 223.This was my first assessment.

Then for the next 30 days i revised first Aid . After that I was left with 2 months and I started second round of Uworld random and time mode. After covering about 20% of Uworld ,40 days before my exam I did Uworld Assessment 1 and scored 234. I was weak in biochem,genetics,biostats and I worked on these weak areas. I continued my uworld and after doing 50% of qbank,25 days before my exam I decided to give nbme 18 and I scored 228. I was a bit dishearted as my target was between 240-250. 2 weeks before exam I did Uworld assessment 2 and scored 234.Although I was 6 points short of my target score I decided to booked the exam .During final 2 weeks I continue with my uworld and finish my second round of uworld 3 days before exam. Week before exam I daily did 7 blocks per day for 3 days just to bulid up stamina for final day exam. 3 days before exam I did free 120 and scored 77%.To me real exam is more like free 120. During my second read of uworld I would just read the educational objective for that mcq and for incorrect one I would read all the explanation.I haven’t done any new nbmes as they were new and I have more confidence in uworld assessment and NBME 18.

MY ASSESSMENT

UWORLD FIRST PASS 72%

NBME 17: 223

UWORLD ASSESSMENT1 : 234

NBME 18 : 228

UWORLD ASSESSMENT 2: 234

UWORLD SECOND ROUND : 85%

FREE 120 77%.

FINAL SCORE 240

So the assessment underpredicted for me so in my opinion this most important thing is not to get panic and try your level best on exam day. Secondly I think it also depends on yours cumulative knowledge. I mean my internal medicine residency helped me a lot in diagnosis and management. I have no problem with x rays, MRI and auscultations questions.But as 7 years has passed after my graduation I was having problem with biochem,biostats,genetics etc.

In the end I would thanks my parents ,without their motivation and prayers it would not have been possible.

Thanks and remember me in yours prayers.