I happened to talk to someone who had recently lost the husband. It was just a courtesy call

I happened to talk to someone who had recently lost the husband. It was just a courtesy call.

During the conversation, my mind was drifting away until she suddenly mentioned “beggar”. I have never seen any beggar in the vicinity of my neighborhood. I admitted I did not follow the narration.

It was the corporation’s “sanitation worker” whom she had called a beggar. She also complained that he refused to go up to clean up the trifles she has strewn on the terrace(like her own private space).

She also said that he picks up the old sarees from the trash the way a “dog would grab meat” (exactly her words).

It was too painful to even listen to this. I simply sat for a few more minutes and reminded about the memories of the just-deceased husband.

I have known this sanitation worker-couple for years. They empty our dustbins and also segregate the waste without a fuss. They have never come knocking for Deepavali/Pongal “Inaam”. They always smile n wish me when I see them elsewhere too.

Mum always gave new sarees to the sanitation worker for Deepavali n Pongal. My parents had invited the couple for lunch during our GrahaPravesham n we had served lunch ourselves. We were never raised to discriminate or abuse.

Just because someone comes around everyday to collect our garbage, it doesn’t mean he is a second class citizen or our slave. Infact, we don’t even pay their honorarium; the corporation does! To call them names and treat them like animals is totally uncalled for.

Education should cleanse minds. Be educated but pls remember to be human!