I have just read a lot of posts about people getting scared about committing a mistake

Unfortunately, a colleague got demoted.

Okay so I wanna tell you that I work in a very busy DGH and was the on call Medical SHO today and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the patient - I did everything in my knowledge but there comes a point where you have to ask for help. You may not always realise it.
I bleeped the medical reg but no reply. And then I walked to the A&E to find the other med reg who refused bluntly to help me( bad on her part, but she was busy as well) .Then I walked up to a consultant and said I need help. He said,” there must be something really wrong given that you have come here looking for me.”

Also, I think a patient of mine is stable and I go home and when I come back to work- they either ended up in ItU or dead. But doesn’t meant I didn’t do everything in my power and expertise

So bottom line is -

1. please seek help- I do know that SHOs are expected to know everything, but you are not god. If you are safe then everyone will help you.
  2. Please don’t work at a level above what you are comfortable at.
  3. Do not panic and I have many friends who were demoted but are doing just fine.
  4. I was not put on medical on calls for first few months of my job as I was not considered competent but here I am.