I passed my PLAB 2 in July and got my GMC license in mid-September

Hey guys. Hope you’re all doing well. I wanted to share my job hunting experience with you guys here. I passed my PLAB 2 in July and got my GMC license in mid-September. I spent most of August arranging for the necessary documents for my GMC registration. I started applying for jobs through the NHS jobs portal from the beginning of September (although you can start applying right after your PLAB 2 result). Like most IMGs right now, I am a fresh graduate, with zero NHS work experience and I haven’t given my MRCP exam, this is why I was not too picky with my choices. I applied daily for any new opening, and the supporting information part of each of my application was individually tailored for each application according to their person specifications. This helps a lot rather than just forwarding the same basic information in all applications. I got an invitation for an interview in Orthopaedics as an FY2 non-training in October 15th and was offered the job after a Skype interview. After accepting the job I stopped applying for any more applications. I applied for 85 jobs in total. I received 2 more interview offers later on, one in early November and one just a few days back, which shows that even if you have applied for a job 1-2 months back, you may still get a response from them, so don’t rule out anything too soon. Don’t think every place that doesn’t respond right away has rejected you. The average time to secure a job for a person in my position is 1-3 months, but here are a few things in my CV/applications that I personally feel were helpful in getting me interview offers:

1. I did not use any agency as I felt it would limit my reach and criteria. By applying for myself, I could apply to literally every job opening available. Although I want to pursue a training in Medicine in the future, I applied for jobs in all fields, surgery, medicine, A&E, paeds, gynae etc (remember if you have zero NHS experience and haven’t given any membership exam yet, it’s best not to be too picky about your first job.
  2. Highlight your teaching experience, they love that. Any experience, whether you’ve had formal teaching experience or simply any presentation you gave to a class or just teaching juniors/medical students/staff informally in the wards. You need to sell yourself in this area.
  3. Any research or audit you may have done. If you haven’t, then show that you are interested in pursuing these in the future and looking forward to it.
  4. Show in your supporting information that you are a safe doctor, that you know your limitations and know when to involve a senior and that you’re constantly evolving your medical knowledge (by studying) in order to becoming a better doctor. Give examples from your experience.
  5. Show you are sympathetic/empathetic and you are nice to your patients. And most importantly, that you respect all cultures/religions/races and do not discriminate anyone on that basis. Both for your patients and your colleagues.
  6. Any UK elective/clinical attachment experience, highlight it! That’s the next best thing after having NHS work experience. Tell them how it introduced you to the NHS system, what you learned when you were there (audits, ward rounds, clerking, handovers, meetings etc) and how you are willing to be a part of it. Although this helps your CV, don’t worry if you haven’t done a clinical attachment in the UK. I have friends who haven’t done these and still received interview offers.

In conclusion, give it your best when applying for jobs. Don’t be lazy, take out time every day to fill and send out GOOD applications. And be patient. I know it’s depressing receiving rejections on an almost daily basis, but you WILL eventually get an interview call so hang in there. And best of luck to everyone!