I started my USMLE step 1 journey in June 2019

USMLE Step 1 experience

I started my USMLE step 1 journey in June 2019. I had researched everything about the exam, read a lot of experiences, so I had a plan in my mind right from the start.

This is as important as the actual exam preparation because an organised preparation not only saves time but provides more output for the same/ less input.

I had decided to limit myself to a few resources and ace them.

My resources:

1. First aid 2019 – The bible. I did this book at least 6/7 times, and I knew it inside out.

The mistake people often do when approaching the FA is that they try learning everything without understanding the content. Every single word in FA holds a purpose, so if you do not understand what something means, research that topic in depth and clarify that concept. The FB groups were godsend in this respect, I used to post a lot of doubts and everyone is extremely helpful. Another simpler approach is just google it.

1. UW- do not underestimate this resource.

UW is a learning tool. Don’t rush it, it’ll affect the scores towards the end. Solve the Qs diligently, read the entire explanation top to bottom and add the additional points to your FA.

I used to do something called “question hygiene”. What I realised is once you form a habit, it sticks till the very end, even the final board exam. So, don’t solve the questions in a leisurely relaxed mode. I used to sit and solve every block as if it were the real exam, from the first day. I think that helped, because you don’t take questions for granted then and push yourself to look for every possible clue the stem has to offer.

You can take breaks before and after the block or make smaller blocks in the beginning but when you are solving those questions, make sure you’re focused.

1. B&B: One day I hope to go and personally thank Dr. Ryan for making this series. It’s the best! It cut my 1st pass duration into half. It basically takes you through FA, topic by topic and clarifies concepts, and provides additional UW concepts. One drawback, however, if you do not have a strong base, it can be a bit difficult to follow. You can use other resources to supplement.

2. ALL NBMEs: It’s an extremely underestimated resource. I solved all the old NBMEs, they helped me get used to the actual question pattern and trained my mind to use all the information it had in a meaningful way. The newer online ones, I used as an assessment and learning tool, both.

3. Other optional resources:

 Sketchy micro (only for bacteria and viruses, absolutely love it)

 Anatomy shelf notes (avoidable)

 100 cases by Conrad Fischer

 Dr. Turco’s Kaplan Biochemistry lectures (very good for forming a good base )

 Dr. White’s Kaplan Neuroanatomy lectures

My preparation phase was divided into 5 passes:

1st pass: 5 months

I watched Pathoma and B&B videos (without pathology) and annotated all the points into my FA.

I would go through over the content with my study partner and then I would solve the UW blocks for that system in the same order i.e. embryology  anatomy  physiology  pathology  pharmacology. All the extra points I found in UW, I made flashcards out of these.

UW first pass score: 78%

2nd pass: 2.5 months

I now started revising my FA with my flashcards. I annotated all the flashcards into my FA to make it one comprehensive resource for me. You can learn the flashcards separately to save time.

3rd pass: 1.5 months

Now, I started solving all the NBMEs with 3rd pass of my “all annotated” FA. (I don’t remember all the exact NBME scores, but they went all the way from 240s to 260s)

4th pass: 1.5 months

I did my 5th pass with UW mixed and timed blocks. Assessment with weekly NBMEs.

UW second pass score: 94%

5th pass: 1.5 months

Got this additional preparation time due to the COVID-19 lockdown in my country.

I did my 6th pass of FA with weekly NBMEs.

Online NBME scores :

NBME 24 - 241 (4 months out)

NBME 20 - 254 (3 months out)

NBME 22 - 251 (3 months out)

NBME 23 - 259 (2.5 months out)

UWSA1 - 259 (2 months out)

NBME 21 - 260 (10 days out)

Exam: June 11

Result: Got the result in 2 weeks itself. 261, was overjoyed!

To conclude, “Sometimes, the key to making progress is to recognize how to take that very first step. Then you start your journey. You hope for the best and you stick with it, day in, day out. Even if you’re tired, even if you want to walk away, you don’t. Because you are a pioneer. But nobody ever said it’d be easy.” – Christina Yang