Infant body weight is tripled by age of –
- 5 months
- 11 months
- 2 years
- 18 months
- The average birth weight of neonates is about 3 Kg.
- During first few days after birth, the newborn loses extracellular fluid equivalent to about 10% of the body weight.
- Most full term infants regain their birth weight by the age of 10 days.
- Subsequently, they gain weight at a rate of approximately 25 to 30 gm per day for the first 3 months of life.
- Thereafter they gain about 400 gm of weight every month for the remaining part of first year.
- A child gains about 2 kg every year between the age of 3 and 7 years and 3 kg per year after that till the pupertal growth spurt begins.