Just got my result back! Passed with score in 240s!

Just got my result back! Passed with score in 240s! This group was really helpful but there weren’t many experiences from people who are in residency and working full time. Also it freaked me out to see people studying from 300 different resources - so I thought I would share my experience!

In summary Step 3 is a horrible test to study for and take specially if you’re working full time however it is NOT difficult to pass (97% people pass it the first time). No one really cares about your score (unless I guess for residency selection). Focus on biostats and cases and you should be fine to pass it.

Background : IMG, Step 1 and 2CK (2018) 250s, Psychiatry resident (PGY2) working full time (8am to 5pm most days) with no vacation / breaks for preparation.

Preparation : 1.5 months with more intense prep in the 2 weeks leading up to the test

Resources :

• Uworld for MCQs : did only once, did NOT have time for incorrect / marked , made flash cards (of tables /charts) and reviewed them 2-3 days before exam (would recommend doing this as the charts / tables often contain high yield facts which are harder to retain long term)
  • Uworld Biostats review
  • Uworld CCS cases : did the interactive ones, read through 50% of the non interactive ones
    -CCScases software : did 30-40 of these - definitely would recommend to get some confidence through the scoring rubric they have. Also software is much closer to the real test.
  • USMLE free sample questions and free sample cases / software - definitely recommend looking over these. Answers / Explanations on benwhite.com
  • Randy Neil YouTube videos for biostats / drug ads

Test days : Day 1 and 2 - 3 days apart. Nothing to add other than what’s already known.
MCQs - Significant Biostats / ethics on Day 1 and none on Day 2. Day 2 feels closer to Uworld. I honestly felt I was guessing through most of the MCQs which was not a great feeling.

Cases - Software was significantly laggier on the real exam and 8 minutes on the short cases was NOT enough - none of my short cases patients got better. Long cases were much better - ended as soon as patient got better. The cases ending early adds to the break time which is great.

Result - 3rd Wednesday after day 2 which was on a Saturday. Permit link disappeared on apps.nbme on Sunday evening and exam status changed to expired on fsmb on Monday.