" md general medicine "

Dr Subhradeep Bhattacharya shares his #motivational story. Entire #DAMS family is proud of his achievement and wish him the best for future.

" MD GENERAL MEDICINE "
I often used to write this below my name during times of introspection in the last 7 years, and then wonder-- how many dreamers in the world are writing this at this moment.
These 7 years after my graduation from BS Medical College were like the 7 colours of rainbow, each with its own shade of blessings. I tried Public Health as my subject by joining DPH, and during that course , me and Sonali decided to tie the knot. And then, all of a sudden, a sweet little human being came into our lives-- Adrit , a bundle of joy. I had tried ENT by doing Housejob at MR Bangur Hospital, then left it and joined as RMO in Medicine Department at BP Poddar Hospital. I had been physician on call at ITC, Hyatt, Senator, Novotel, and also at Future Hope. I had worked as ICU MO at RKMSP. Nevertheless, the pinch of salt seemed to be missing in the huge variety of cuisines that I had. I did not feel I am contributing anything by virtue of my own calibre, and thus did not find the purpose of work in life.
You never know where the shoe pinches. That pinch of dissatisfaction came back to me time and again, like when the flight attendants were calling for a ‘doctor’ during my trip to Bangkok for a patient having chest pain. And even mesmerizing beaches of Langkawi, the jungle safari in Sri Lanka or the aerial view of Sentosa from Singapore Flyer carried with them a sense of incompleteness. For, as Smt Jaya Row says in her discourses, “if you don’t enjoy your work, you don’t enjoy your life”.
General Medicine was missing. It could give me a sense of satisfaction that no other discipline in Medical science could give. And my dream subject gives me an opportunity to connect emotionally with my patients as well.
And finally, after the first round of counselling post NEET PG 2018, I saw ‘Krishna’ written beside my name. And ‘Medicine’ as well. Krishna gave it to me after 7 long years of languishment, and I am expressing my gratitude after 7 months of getting it , on this occasion of Diwali.
John Milton mentions in his work " On His Blindness ", that he waited for his eyesight to come back for the right poetic inspiration. And God told him, that those who wait patiently are also serving Him.
But then, after reaching the destiny , few of us realise how each and every person we came across during the journey have contributed to this success intentionally or inadvertently. I, thus, have finally gathered myself to express all the gratitude waiting to emanate from my heart during the the last 6 months of tough JRship at KIMS, Karad, to all those Krishna’s I came across.
I want to thank Sumer Sir, Deepti Mam and all the excellent faculty at DAMS for not only their power packed addictive lectures, but also their efforts to inspire us and lift us from dèpression and anxiety , which are common accompaniments of every PG aspirant. DAMS was the “refresh” button for my system locked up in a room at the study table for 10 months.
My whole approach to study in the past 6 years met with a revolution when Sumer Sir said in “Meet the mentor” session to avoid all guidebooks and focus only on classnotes. I rejected an entire cupboard filled with guidebooks I had obsessively accumulated in 6 years. Had Deepti Mam not said “KEEP IT SIMPLE” and that ‘5-6 months of dedicated preparation is enough to crack ANY exam’, and that ‘it is our natural defence mechanism to work on our strengths, yet we should work on our weaknesses’, my efforts would have lost focus like before. I wish to see them personally some day.

It was painful for me and Sonali to stay away, but we did, so that I can be dedicated at the study table. 2 year old Adrit had also happily accepted that he would see less of me during 2017. My parents in law, Shampa and Amitava Choudhury, have rendered immense support. They could visualise my success much before I myself could.
My father Dr. Pradip Bhattacharya has always had high opinions about me , yet he waited and prayed patiently all these years to see me achieve this. Dr. Bani Bhattacharya, my mom, had always urged me to be positive, come what may.
I must mention Dr. Ajoy Mukherjee and Dr. Souvik Dubey, 2 Gods of Medicine I met on my way, and that helped me to decisively lock the choice of “General Medicine” for the rest of my life.
My childhood buddies , Rajarshi and Sourav, and my brother in law, Subhrojyoti, have constantly been my supports ,in spite of their own career struggles.
When everyone had either found their subjects of choice, or lost hope in me as a study partner, I found in my batchmate Anurag a wonderful company to selflessly support me as well as encourage me during our joint efforts at cracking NEET 2018.
Lectures on Bhagavat Gita by Smt Jaya Row had attracted me since I was in 11th Standard, and has inspired me greatly in the past 14 years, and moulded my personality to face the challenges of the world in a better way.
Late Mr. Bankim Chakraborty, Sonali’s mentor and guide, has rendered all his efforts to ensure my success, but could not be there to witness it.
And there are more whom I am unable to mention, or rather, am unaware of their contributions.
And in spite of all this, it was difficult for me to accept the rigorous schedule of JR ship at Krishna, just as Gonzalo said in ‘The Tempest’, that it takes time for the new clothes to fit in.
Yet on a positive note, I am sure I would use what God gave me to make a difference in the lives of other people, and that is how I would find my purpose in life.