My first COVID Test showed negative

Edit to update:

For the people who cared

For the people who shared

For the people who prayed

My first COVID Test showed negative.

I thank each and every one for their support, prayers and wishes. The response was huge and unexpected. Me and my family members are hale and hearty.

Untrust worthy Patients

I am an anesthetist but more importantly a human, a son, a husband and a father. This is my Corona story in fact my anger story…

As per rules, I only attend to emergencies mostly lscs… I make sure that there is no history of any travel, no symptoms n signs of infection and no positive history in patient’s family or neighbors… N also Covid investigations…

The place where I stay and practice has zero cases. So with this scenario, one fine morning (I thot so), I get a call from an orthopedic surgeon n get to know about this patient with history of RTA sustained polytrauma which means multiple fractures.

We collected history in which he denied travelling to containment zone(1), no symptoms, not tested(2). Then we had him investigated(govt approved private lab) for Corona which showed negative.

We go ahead with surgery as planned.

Even on pre anesthetic check up same details were asked and he was all good.

Even on OT table, he was enquired about accidents which he manipulated. To avoid general anesthesia, I gave him Ultrasound guided regional block on Friday. Rest all were fine and he was shifted to post op.

Now the truth unfolds itself, we get a call from government health officials saying he was investigated(govt PHC) on 18th for COVID and found was POSITIVE.

1. He came back from chennai 3 days prior to accident in a two wheeler.

2. Village panchayat head compelled him to undergo testing

3. Accident occurred while returning after getting tested.

All these things were purposefully hidden from us even after repetitive questioning by three consultants, nurses and other health workers.

After effect:

1. Hospital is completely shut down.

2. Myself n two surgeons along with nurses n health care workers which make a total of 20 ppl are in home quarantine

3. Family members quarantined.

4. Public nuisances n rumours like doctors are COVID positive, patient died etc etc.

Lessons:

1. There is nothing called trusting patients when they don’t trust you and purposefully hide information.

2. Treat everyone as a COVID suspect

3. Don’t forget you take your family with you for this war to help untrustworthy patients.

4. To the public, stop spreading nonsense baseless news in social media.

5. To my colleagues who try to save patient’s money by avoiding PPE n COVID testing, it’s not worth it doctors.

6. To my non medico friends, if u are one among to hide info, spread false news or being a untrustworthy patient anywhere or to any doctors never ever call me for advice.

Doctors are no more Gods, We are here to treat you but not at the cost of my life and lives of my family members.

S. Vigneswaran,

Anesthetist,

Thuraiyur.