My son is 17. He had ACL reconstruction surgery in July 2019 using his quad tendon

My son is 17. He had ACL reconstruction surgery in July 2019 using his quad tendon. He was so sad because he was out from sports for such a long recovery. Then the pandemic hit so he was out even longer. He really struggled with feeling down and defeated.
He just started playing soccer again 6 weeks ago and tore his ACL graft. I just got the MRI results today. I haven’t told him yet because I know it’s going to devastate him. I am so sad and my heart aches for him. I am dreading telling him and having him go through this surgery all over again. I am so worried for his physical health, but I’m also so concerned about his emotional well being. Has anyone else been through this with their child (twice)? Any advice?

Well the thing is when you tear your ACL you can’t just go back into extreme sports. It’s something you learn the hard way you’re going to have to tell him he’s going to have to be careful for the rest of his life. It’s not a joke. I have done the same thing and we tore my ACL doing something that was too extreme, wakeboarding. It is an unfortunate injury but the fact of the matter is you need to now know what’s better for them and they cannot be playing soccer a kicking game. Every time they play they need to know that they need to be protecting their lake. It is a lifelong game now, but he is lucky that he has you to support him throughout his journey. I was 19 the first time and now 22 when I re tore it.

who told you can not be back to extreme sport after acl surgery? Thats not tru.

My daughter is also 17…tore her LEFT ACL her freshman year. Took her out of sports that year…had a great comeback her sophomore year, COVID hit the junior year, remote learning and a tore RIGHT ACL her senior year. She is less than a week post op. The emotions of this stage of life coupled with the effects of Covid and the impact it has had on school, social and sports makes it more difficult. We have found people that have tore the same ACL…The fact that she has now tore both her ACL’s she is a bit of a rarity.