NEET PG is over. Results are out. Now soon the game of counselling will begin

NEET PG is over. Results are out. Now soon the game of counselling will begin. And to get ahead in this race, everyone will need to know everything about their branch of choice .

I am an MD Radiation Oncology resident at R.G. Kar medical college and hospital in Kolkata. And perhaps it is my duty to help someone who wants to take up my branch as his/hers. I will try to be brief and to the point. I will try to keep on editing and adding points if people are interested in further information. So without much ado, let me give you all a perspective at Radiation Oncology/Radiotherapy…

1. What is Radiation Oncology (RadOnc)?

Ans: The old name of this branch is Radiotherapy. BOD in supersession of MCI has changed the name of the branch to better justify its curriculum which involves total care of a cancer patient. It involves diagnosing a cancer patient, prescribing investigations, and providing treatment. The treatment encompasses radiotherapy, chemotherapy, supportive medicinal management as well as palliative care.

1. What would you do in Dept of RadOnc on a daily basis?

Ans: 1-2 days in a week , you will be having OPD. Remaining days would be divided between doing radiation treatment planning and providing chemotherapy (in daycare centre as we know it).

1. What can an MD pass out do in this branch (apart from practising as a radiation oncologist)?

Ans:

A. Pursue DM in Medical oncology (you will have to sit for NEET-SS)

B. Appear for FRCR clinical oncology examination (this will give you an edge in future recruitments if you stay in India)

C. Sit for ESMO certification examination (again, it might boost your CV)

1. Is there a threat of radiation exposure?

Ans: Unequivocally NO. Radiation oncologists are involved in radiation treatment planning, the actual delivery of radiation however is automated and managed by the machines and software.

An orthopedic surgeon is perhaps more exposed to radiation than a radiation oncologist.

1. Is RadOnc a paraclinical branch?

Ans: NO. In UK, this branch is known as Clinical Oncology. There you can get some idea as to what it actually entails.

1. How much is the academic load?

Ans: This is a branch where academics especially holds an important aspect right from the start. As it is a fast growing subject, you will see new developments in treatment options as often as every month, if not more. Regular symposiums, presentations, panel discussions, journal clubs, quizzes are organised by different institutes and organisations. The syllabus is huge… And there is something called Radiation physics which you will have to learn from scratch. So get ready for an academic roller-coaster if you opt for this branch.

1. The everlasting debate MD vs DNB?

Ans: MD radonc is mostly run by medical colleges, while DNB is run by private hospitals. As far as academics is concerned, many medical colleges will be superior to most DNB institutes. However, there are exceptions.

DNB institutes however, may boast of cutting edge equipments in Radiation oncology, which some medical colleges might not have.

Some DNB RadOnc residents might not have good exposure to chemotherapy due to their having a separate Medical Oncology dept (which is not the case in most medical colleges). However, they might have access to some drugs/investigations as well which a medical college do not.

1. How should you choose your institute?

Ans: Research…research and research. Talk to RadOnc residents to know about the pros and cons of a institute. Dont go by hearsay. Go to the institute concerned if possible and see for yourself.

1. Is a radiation oncologist always hospital dependent for his job?

Ans: No and Yes. You can have your own clinic and practice clinical oncology. It will involve preventive oncology as well as diagnosing and investigating a case followed by follow-up. However, the instruments and system used for providing radiotherapy are expensive. As of now, it is difficult for you to own one. So, you will need an institute attachment for that.

1. How much do a radiation oncologist get paid?

Ans: At the outset, the post of junior registrar in a private hospital will be evenly paid for any branch as far as I know. What the consultants can earn however will depend on their practice (as is the case for every branch).

1. How should you know whether you have an aptitude for this branch?

Ans: This question is relevant only beacuse most MBBS students wont have any exposure to this branch through their curriculum. However, ask yourself three questions…

A. Do you like medicine (that is to diagnose, investigate and treat a patient)?

B. Do you have an penchant for diagnostic radiology (do you love reading CTscan, MRIs and interpreting them)?

C. Do you love computers (learning and operating softwares)?

If your answers to all three questions are YES, then RadOnc should be an ideal branch for you.

I have tried to include most of the questions that might come up in your mind about this branch as you go on about the counselling. If you need more, feel free to ask. Moreover, enjoy these upcoming 3 months because this is the respite you all need and deserve, which also you will not be getting for a long time once you join in a branch.

All the best guys…

#radiotherapy

#RadiationOncology

#RadOnc

#docdebanjan