Neubauer counting chamber's calculations for RBC; Platelets and WBC:-

Neubauer counting chamber’s calculations for RBC; Platelets and WBC:-
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
● The counting grid is composed of 9 big squares, measuring 1 x 1 mm.
● From these squares, the central square contains 25 medium sized squares each measuring 0.2 x 0.2 mm.
● These are further divided into 16 small squares each measuring 0.05 x 0.05 mm.
● The large central square is also called the erythrocyte grid.
● The squares highlighted in red correspond to 80 small squares, that are used to establish the erythrocyte and platelet counts.
● The large squares marked in blue are used to establish the leukocyte count.

A) Erythrocyte (RBC ) Counting:

● In a manual erythrocyte count, 10 µl of EDTA blood (collected with an Eppendorf pipette) is diluted in 1990 µl of isotonic erythrocyte dilution solution.
● This results in a dilution of 1:200.
● This suspension must be well-mixed and be immediately placed into the counting chamber.
● After approximately 3 minutes, the erythrocytes will have settled, and one may begin counting the erythrocytes in 80 small squares.
● The calculation of the erythrocyte count is achieved by following the formula below using these factors:

1. Number of RBC counted in the small squares.
  2. Dilution of the cell solution.
  3. Number of counted small squares.
  4. Volume above one small square.
  5. Conversion factor is necessary in order to arrive at the volume of one liter. Since we are dealing with one µl, this is equal to 106 (1 µl = 1 x 106 L or 1 L = 1 x 106 µl).
    #Calculations:
    RBC count / µl = {Number of RBC counted × Dilution (200)} ÷ {Number of squares counted (80) ×volume of 1 small square (0.00025 µl)}
    i.e.
    RBC count / µl = (Number of RBC counted × 200) ÷ (80) ×0.00025 µl)
    i.e.
    RBC count / µl = (Number of RBC counted × 200) ÷ (0.02 µl)
    ● Example with 500 counted RBCs.
    RBC count / µl = (Number of RBC counted × 200) ÷ (0.02 µl)
    i.e. RBC count / µl = (500 × 200) ÷ (.02 µl) = 5000000 / µl

B ) Platelet Counting:

● In a platelet count, 50 µl EDTA blood (collected with an Eppendorf pipette) is mixed in 950 µl dilution solution (collected with an Eppendorf pipette).
● This results in a dilution of 1:20.
● The mixture must stand approximately 5 minutes so that the erythrocytes are completely lysed.
● Then the suspension is mixed and put into the counting chamber.
● The chamber is left in a moist environment for 20-30 minutes so the platelets can settle without the chamber drying.
● Like the erythrocyte count, 80 small squares are counted.
● Calculation of the platelet count is achieved by using the formula below using these factors:

1. Number of platelets counted in the small squares.
  2. Dilution of the cell solution.
  3. Number of counted squares.
  4. Volume above a square.
  5. Conversion factor which is necessary in order to come to the volume of one liter. Since we are moving in the µl area, this is equal to 106 (1 µl = 1 x 106 L or 1 L = 1 x 106 µl).
    #Calculation:
    Platelet counts / µl = Number of platelets counted × Dilution (20) ÷Number of squares counted (80) ×volume of 1 small square (0.00025 µl)
    i.e.
    Platelet count / µl = (Number of Platelets counted × 20 ) ÷ (80 × 0.00025 µl)
    i.e.
    Platelet count / µl = (Number of Platelets counted × 20) ÷ (0.02 µl)
    ● Example with 200 counted platelets.
    Platelet count / µl = (Number of platelets counted × 20) ÷ (.02 µl)
    i.e. Platelets count / µl = (200 × 200) ÷ (.02 µl) = 200000 / µl

C) Leukocyte (WBC ) Counting :
_----------------------------------------------------
● In the manual WBC count, 50 µl of EDTA-blood (collected with an Eppendorf pipette) is mixed together with 950 µl dilution solution (e.g. Türk’s solution, collected with an Eppendorf pipette).
● This constitutes a dilution of 1:20. The erythrocytes will be lysed, and the leukocyte nucleus will be stained.
● The counting chamber is immediately filled after mixing. After 2 minutes, one may begin counting the leukocytes in the 4 large squares.
● Calculation of the leukocyte count is achieved by following the formula below using these factors:

1. Number of leukocytes counted in the big squares.
  2. Dilution of the cell solution
  3. Number of counted big squares.
  4. Volume above a big square.
  5. Conversion factor which is necessary in order to come to the volume of one liter. Since we are moving in the µl area, this is equal to 106 (1 µl = 1 x 106 L or 1 L = 1 x 106 µl)
    #Calculations:
    WBC count / µl = Number of WBC counted × Dilution (20) ÷Number of squares counted (4) ×volume of 1 big square (0.1 µl)
    i.e.
    WBC count / µl = (Number of WBC counted × 20) ÷ (4 × 0.1 µl)
    i.e.
    WBC count / µl = (Number of WBC counted × 20) ÷ (0.4 µl)
    ■ Example with 200 counted WBCs.
    WBC count / µl = (Number of WBC counted × 20) ÷ (0.4 µl)
    = (200 × 20) ÷ (0.4 µl) =10000 / µl