Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates :

1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days.

2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment.

3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents.

4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic information and take your snapshot through webcam/ ask you to mail a recent image. Once you are done, you will be notified by notarycam and they will transfer the documents to ECFMG for verification.

5. Wait for 10 business days. ECFMG will send confirmation of verification of form 186. At this point, you will be able to apply for USMLE exam. Fill your information carefully. Make sure you enter you name/DOB carefully. Regarding the Graduation date and Degree date, the graduation date is the date of completion of Internship and Degree date is the date when your Diploma is issued to you. Make payment for USMLE step 1 exam (1090$).

6. Based on whether your medical school participates in ECFMG web portal verification or not, you will be issued form 183. My school does not participate EMSWP and hence I was asked to mail form 183.

7. Get your form 183 signed / stamped by medical school official (principal/ dean for my institute). Now send your form 183 via courier to ECFMG office in Philadelphia. The trick part is, this form has to be sent through the office of the person who is signing the form 183. It will be rejected if it is sent otherwise. If your medical school does not send form 183 by themselves, get one envelope and write “office of principal/dean” as sender’s address and put stamps of the official on the envelope and seal it. Take care to write the name of the office of principal/dean as sender when you are filling-up the form of Fed-ex or DHL. Don’t mention your name. You can send a copy of your diploma with this form 183. There is no need to send transcript.

8. After it is received at ECFMG office, wait for 10 business days. You will get confirmation of acceptance of form 183 via mail. After 3-4 days, you will receive scheduling permit and you are good to go.

The entire process may take at least 25-30 days. So start well in advance. Call ECFMG helpline at any step if you have query. They are very helpful.