STEP 1 : 232/ STEP 2 CK : 226/ STEP 2 CS PASS/ STEP 3 not taken

STEP 1 : 232/ STEP 2 CK : 226/ STEP 2 CS PASS/ STEP 3 not taken.
NON US IMG (No contacts in US)
YOG: 2019 (extended)
8 months work experience in Cardiology at GB Pant (Delhi, India). No research experience in US, publication, poster.
Electives in Cardiology, CCU, Neurosurgery, General Surgery.
Observership in Cardiothoracic surgery.

This story begins in 2011. I did my medical school in China (which has the same perception of Caribbean to US). Started thinking about the steps during my internship.

-Took Step 1 on April 5, 2018 (24 hours before my flight to NYC), scored 232.

Did 2 electives at Mount Sinai (Neurosurgery and CCU, in the months of April and May). Presented a case to the whole Department of Neurosurgery, participated in surgeries, was there at 5 every day of the week to pre-round with the residents. Got one very strong LOR from the PD of Neurosurgery at MSH. Did General Surgery elective at FIU (Hialeah Hospital) in July, got an average LOR as the preceptor only gave generic LORs. Had asked one attending for LOR, really impressed him, but he didn’t reply to my emails when I left, didn’t get the LOR for the application (more on him later, he replied in December).

-Took CS on August 16, 2018. Passed.

Did a Cardiology elective at Mount Sinai. Came back to India after I got my CS results, started working at GBPant Cardiology as JR, co-initiated a study with the professor of cardiology. Got one research article published from there (with more to come). It was a big prospective cohort study [PMID: 31593344 PMCID: PMC6906983 DOI: 10.1002/clc.23278]. Got one very strong LOR from here, attached it with all my applications on ERAS.

-Took CK on August 7, 2019, scored 226.

Applied to 185 IM programs and 100 General Surgery programs.

Did 1 month of observership at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Cardiothoracic surgery. The GS residents were on that service as well, got to know 2 of them very well. One attending even asked if I could join as a research associate, but due to hospital policy, couldn’t get J1. Worked voluntarily, at home, wrote parts of 2 review articles (not yet published) with the 2 GS residents and the CT surgeon above. I was over the moon when I got the interview.

-My personal statement for surgery was about soccer, I have played all my life, and I compared it with my aspirations in the operating room.

I had 2 interviews in GS Prelim (Jackson Memorial and UMinnesota), I had 2 interviews in IM (Wright Centre, Scranton and UHS, Johnson City). Countless people told me to rank the IM program higher, as both the IM places told me they would be really happy to have me as an intern there. Mom and Dad were apprehensive about GS prelim and the match again next year and suggested IM as well.

I ranked them as follows: 1. UMinnesota 2. Jackson/UMiami 3. UHS Johnson City 4. Wright Center, Scranton

Matched at Jackson/UMiami GS Prelim.

Take away points from my journey:

1. People who can’t do it, will say that it can’t be done. DO NOT listen to them. If you want surgery, you can get it, if you are willing to work your butt off.

2. Make sure you perform like a maniac at your electives and observerships. I feel that it really helped me. The GS resident I am working with on the review article suggested my name to the program.

3. You can complain about lack of research and cite it as an excuse. I have exactly one research publication in an Indexed Q1 Journal, with an impact factor of 3. That research will lead to more papers (for sure), but after it’s over. You could even say that lack of J1 Research visa is an excuse as well. But if you are willing to work for free, invest your time in anything you really want, you can get it. The reviews with the Jackson residents will be published by June, 2020 (hopefully).

4. Your story is unique, make sure that the personal statement is magical.

5. Prelim is a dicey option, but it gets your foot in the system. You have to apply again. It’s the same process, and uncertainty again. But would you rather not do surgery?

With all that said, I want to share what the attending at Hialeah (the one who didn’t give me an LOR) said to me. I got in touch with him through email back and forth after December. On March 16th I sent him an email saying I matched into a 1 year position. I have my phone number at the end of my emails. He called me up at 4:53 AM (according to India), I was asleep. I called him back up later, and he said congratulations, I am so happy for you. He added “Now that the easiest part is over, remember 2 things: 1. First one in and last one out, everyday for the next one year. Make sure they see you all the time. 2. Serve and protect: Serve the patients and the rest of the care team, and protect your seniors, and never say no, never say you can’t do something.” He ended with “I hope to see you at the Surgery conferences this year”. _________________________________________

Follow me on Instagram @chauhanishit29 for more content on USMLE, and how to become a surgeon in US.