Step 1 experience Exam date - 22th March 2019 Exam score – 255

This post is for everyone who feels the exam is impossible and I hope I can motivate old graduates as I am a 2012 graduate.
Preparation time - 3 months (dedicated) + 3 months on and off.
I graduated in year 2012, did md Pathology (2013-16) in India and worked for a year, got married and came to America in 2018. Initially I was really confused and had doubts to repeat and start everything again. Somehow, I convinced myself in June 2018 and started preparing From July on and off with FA and UWorld. I was really frustrated and still not sure and finally took my exam date as 27th December. I almost started studying with full dedication by mid of October. Gave my first nbme on December 9th, scored horribly and realized things aren’t in my favor. I extended my eligibility period an took my date as 22nd March 2019. Now I had 3 more months
Study hours a day 7-8 hrs
I didn’t use many resources as I believe without revision nothing helps.
Till November I went through FA and Uworld once. I did subject wise uworld. First pass -67%. I used to read all the explanation and wrote extra points in FA.
December 9th Nbme 19 -198.
I gave dedicated time to all my subjects.
Biochem: FA + Dr. Sam Turco Kaplan videos (I think he is the best)
Immunology: FA
Microbiology FA
Pathology: FA and general pathology videos from Pathoma
Neuropathology: FA and go thru Dr White lectures and see the figures from Kaplan neuroanatomy.
Pharmacology: FA
Physiology: FA and BRS physiology (Renal, CVS and Respiratory)
Biostats: FA+ Kaplan questions and uworld biostats review
Behavioral Sciences: 100 cases of Conrad and FA. Still it was my weakest subject and I scored less even in final exams.
CVS :I recommend seeing lots of ECG as I got 3 in my exam and thorough with heart sounds. I didn’t read ECG but listened to heart sounds from youtube.
Rest everything was FA. FA has to be done again and again as I realized every time, I read I used to actually see new points. Each and every line of FA is important.
From 15th Feb I started doing uworld second pass random, read explanations of the incorrect ones. It took one and half month for me to go thru the whole uworld exclusively. Second pass- 89%
Last month before exam I started revising FA again. Finally, I had finished 4 readings of FA.
Self-assessments:
Nbme 17: 252 (10/3/19)
UWSA 1: 256 (12/3/19)
Free 120: 84% (14/03/19)
UWSA2: 251 (18/3/19)
Nbme 18: 240 (19/3/19)
3 days before exams: reviewed some week points for 2 days.
1 day before exam: just was flipping through my notes. Was keeping my mind relaxed, went for a long walk. Had early dinner. Prepared my bag, packed some lunch and fruits, checked my permit and most important slept early and for long 8 hours.
On the day of exam: Reached Centre half an hour before, exam started at 8am skipped the tutorials. Did 2 blocks together, took 5 mins break. Again did 2 blocks, took 20 mins break had lunch walked through the garden. Most difficult for me was 5th and 6th block as mind was blocked. Again took 10 mins break before each block. After giving the test I was happy as it got over but on same time was really confused, as I started recalling many stupid mistakes. I think this feeling is really common.
I actually can’t comment upon other resources as I didn’t refer them but if u think anything can make your concepts strong go ahead.
I think we should start nbmes way before and assess ourselves which I didn’t do and realized my mistake.
The mantra is stay calm and focused. Be strong with concepts. Time and duration all depend upon each individual’s capability and capacity but I feel quality study matters more. At the end it’s just an exam and is doable.
I hope this helps.
All the Best.
Dr. Neha Khaitan.