This is for all the future applicants who want to apply to Family Medicine

This is for all the future applicants who want to apply to Family Medicine or those who have no idea about what the match season is like.

(I was hesitant to share my experience, but I know someone out there might benefit and learn a few lessons from my journey. If you are applying this year, take notes!)

1. It’s harder to match in FM than what you think. Check out the latest NRMP data. All DOs are taking most of the spots for this specialty. IMGs end up getting just 37% of all the available positions (IM has double the number of positions compared to FM and IMGs get 44% of them). DON’T use it as a backup plan, you are wasting your money and they can tell who is using FM as their second option.

2. There is a HUGE difference between IM and FM. (fellowships, work ethic, work opportunities, work environment, etc.) Be 100% prepared to know it and answer the famous question. Why did you choose Family Medicine?

3. DON’T apply without a FM LOR. Make your CV and personal statement focused on FM and the state/city you are applying. They actually take the time to read everything. Be upfront about your red flags and how you compensated them with X-Y-Z.

4. Make your OWN program list. STOP wasting your time asking for lists. Use residencyexplorer, FREIDA, scutwork, reddit and go to EVERY SINGLE program’s website (there are over 650 so it took me around 2 months to finish it) We all have different backgrounds, that’s why even with the same step scores some people get IVs and others don’t. Apply wisely and broadly to places you like and you have a chance of getting in.

5. Send Letters of interest. YES! They actually work! A few programs replied and gave me the reason why they couldn’t offer me an IV. One PD told me they had all their dates filled and gave me the personal email of his PD friend in another state that might be interested in my application. In the end they rejected me but it feels SO GOOD to hear back from programs while you are waiting. I got 3 of my IVs after sending LOI (make them specific to each program and tell them why you like them or wanna go there, they already have your scores and other data, so skip that part) Send them around mid october-early november. Give them some time to do their job.

6. Be polite, professional and humble. Send thank you letters to your top programs. I got 1 Xmas card from a PD and 3 thank you cards. We are desperate for IVs, but don’t try to make them think you’ll take the first offer that you get, avoid that.

7. Interviews: I turned a rejection into an IV invitation. (Yes, it’s unbelievable) If you are on a wait-list keep sending emails to the PC once a week/ 2 weeks. Don’t sound desperate, but stay proactive and interested.

8. If you have to pay for rotations. Invest your money wisely, make sure that LOR says only good and realistic things about yourself.

9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and help others! Yes, this is a competition that you are going to win by your own hard work; not by getting rid of the competition. Don’t compare your journey with anybody else.

*Profile?

Non US IMG. 2017 Grad. Average scores. No step 3. No research. (I got a research position by the time I sent my application. I could have gotten way more IVs with a LOR from my research mentor and step 3 score for sure! But it is what it is and I’m more than happy with the place where I matched and my journey. Make your hobbies UNIQUE. Spanish/Basic German. (One PD started to speak in german out of nowhere in the middle of the IV, so DO NOT LIE on your application lol)

*How many applications did I send?

This was my first cycle. I applied to 165 FM programs and 30 IM programs (Only those with in house ID fellowship). I got 4 FM and 1 IM interview.

*Where did I apply?

Mostly to California, Texas and Florida. Yes, California is a good option for IMGs now that they got rid of the PTAL, especially if you speak spanish.

*Where did I match? How to ace your interview?

I matched at my #1 program, one of my top favorite FM programs affiliated with a university. (at the end that doesn’t matter unless you want a competitive fellowship or work in an academic setting) I had to decline my first IV date there due to having another interview scheduled on the same day. You might think that it’s bad luck or the end of the world, but I used it as a chance to keep in touch with the PC and show her how much I wanted to go there. On my interview day, they all knew me as the guy who was willing to take a 6.5 hour flight from Miami to San Francisco with short notice and gave me a sense that I was talking to an old friend instead of my future boss (If you get nervous during IVs, practice with a friend or a native english speaker). Make yourself be remembered by something POSITIVE.

*Should I go back if they offer me a second look?

YES!. Period. (Just don’t reply right away, make them think you are not desperate). A lot of FM programs invite you to go on a second look/dinner/lunch.

*What would I have done different?

I wouldn’t have applied to a lot of programs in states that are not IMG friendly or former DO programs. I would have scheduled my IVs sooner in the season. Take step 3 so you can stand out from others. Do research to show that you are active in the medical field and to have a topic of conversation, besides that it’s useless. I wouldn’t have applied to programs in the middle of nowhere or in cities I wouldn’t be happy. If all you want is to match go ahead, do it, but I’ve learned that being happy with your decision makes a HUGE difference. I would have tried to complete all my steps sooner, every year that goes by, it’s harder for you to match and get thru the YOG filter.

*How to make your rank list?

You’ll know right away which program is a good fit for you from the moment you walk in.

Best of luck to anyone reading this. You can do it!