This write up is for you...( 2nd / 3rd Generation Doctors- Please QUIT Here)

Are you a First Generation Doctor…?

This write up is for you…( 2nd / 3rd Generation Doctors- Please QUIT Here)

The dream of making their son/ Daughter a DOCTOR… prevails for decades and will prevail for decade …

Teachers, Staff nurses, Medical Technicians, Office workers all want their Children to become a DOCTOR…

Do you know the difficulty faced by a 1st Generation Medico…?

Right from the day 1 he joins a medical college- he starts to suffer, struggle and survive…

The results of the 1st Internal assessment test after being a topper in school past 12 years in school makes him shatter- 90% of them gets below average score… Understanding the Anatomy, physiology and Biochemistry itself is a Big task for them, to pass the Internal assessment is much a Bigger Task… If you are a 1st generation medico- you know what your parents feel when this mark goes to them- They start speaking- You have become Bad, worst, useless, and all crap…Definitely a kid from a Doctor family, his/her father will pass a casual comment " Great you got more mark than my 1st internal assessment and will keep moving"…

This goes on…

The doctor parent always know where there will be hurdle to a medico in his life… They always lend them a helping hand/ supporting shoulder and they know everything right from Exam failure to Love failure is a part of Medico’s Life… On the other hand the 1st Generation Poor Medico- Every failure he faces right from Exam failure to Love failure will be Multiplied 100 times because of the criticisms and improper support from his family… His family always wants him to be a TOPPER/ HERO/ WINNER… But every medico knows we can’t be the above three at any time without a proper support…

The tough part of medico’s life- PG preparation goes like a Hell for a 1st generation medico… Every exam gives him less tension than thinking about to " What to say if we miss this exam to my father? what will they think me?" That tension itself makes him a loser before going for the exam… Whereas , a medico from Doctor family will always give an encouraging word- " Don’t worry- Just get eligible we will try in a private seat or keep studying for one or 2 more year"/// this motivation pushes them to next level…

Can you quote a 1st Generation medico thinking of USMLE/ PLAB/ AUSTRALIA or any abroad education… Many Best class students drop out half the way due to improper fund /support from family and settle with a PHC/ GH for life time… The Doctor from a Doctor family will try to get pushed to Next level for a decent settlement or will be ready to hand over the Throne of his/her hospital the moment he comes with a PG degree… Yes it’s a CAKE WALK for them( Exceptions may be there)… But without exception, every 1st generation doctor has a walk which is ALONE, DARK, TERRIFIED, THRILLED and SUICIDAL many a time…

I have seen young people just like that finishing Super specialty degrees and taking care of the Hospital built and established by his/ her father… Whereas 1st Generation doctor still dragging a bundle of books to get selected in the exam… Most hurting will be sometimes to see such people who come up with such a Nice Background makes fun of your failures…

If you are a First generation doctor, Planning to start a practice… Every step you plan will slip, you will not even get a 8 X 8 feet room to establish your clinic, whereas a person with less talent poor College Degree will be Having a Royal Hospital with Latest Gadgets and Facilities… Yes the struggle goes on and on… And you stop one day with the aim- " Let me make my child grow with all comforts which I missed"

Here ends the story of the Warrior- FIRST GENERATION DOCTOR… 1 in 100 of the First generation doctor is successful in his AIM… 99% will be successful in their dream to make their kids live a HAPPY LIFE… The story restarts…

If you are a successful 1st Generation Doctor…

A BIG ROYAL SALUTE for withstanding all the failures without a MASK…

( ** MASK of a Doctor’s Son/ Daughter)

Note : I have under spoken about the hurdles a 1st Generation Doctor faces, there are many more and more…

This is just a Trailer and I can write a book like BAILEY Size regarding this…

Dr.Rajamahendran MS, MRCS, MCh( SGE), FMAS.

Surgical Gastroenterologist

I am a 1st generation medico whose parents think any job one does in a sitting position is easy and I am an FMG who failed in FMGE in my first attempt then cleared it,did Internship in india,registered and worked in tamilnadu.Took a drop for pg preparation and cldnt even attend half my coaching classes due to the pressure from family to take care of any relative who got sick,RTA or gravely ill since to their eyes I was just studying (they think I’m lazy to work and studying was excuse).Couldn’t take my dream seat, fought them,left home and took a drop again…corona said it’s not that easy, back at home waking up very early every day to study so I can make up for the time I spent listening to my parents call be useless daily cuz I am still studying at 25.I was the first batch in my College,no seniors(people with good seniors will know how much they help at least in terms of guidance), discrimination in every step from FMGE, chiefs during internship to medical council for registration, Consultants at work,but I’m not hurt by all these except my parents.EVERY MEDICO GOES THROUGH HARDSHIPS but lucky are the ones whose parents understood those hardships and not make it 100x harder by negativity and constant criticism.