To Dr. Conrad Fischer: "Here's a question for you how important is a USMLE score in residency application?"

To Dr. Conrad Fischer: “Here’s a question for you how important is a USMLE score in residency application?”

Dr. Conrad Fischer: “Well if you don’t want to get a residency it’s not important at all. It’s kind of like saying how important is it to be good looking if you’re trying to get a date, you know, so
the answer is well it is. So I’m on rounds this morning at 8 o’clock in the morning and we’re going room to room we’re seeing patients with residents and medical students and the number of times a day that things that are all from a USMLE step one or two or three course that is the things that we’re seeing in the hospital. I think that if people like for instance there’s a patient with chemotherapy neutropenia and had a fever neutropenia and it the person the intern could not remember what the cutoff was for neutropenia couldn’t remember what the right antibiotics were. You’d think well, you know what this is straight out of a straight out of
a step two and three course and I always wish that we could go back in time and say to people: if you really knew the depth of what you are supposed to learn and how you’re going to need it later on you would have made all the time in the world and all the intensity of the world to study!”

This man is my Guru! I wish I could learn everything he has to offer!