To share my step 3 experience

A couple of people asked me to share my step 3 experience

Score: 256

Prep time: 6 wks dedicated, 10-12hr studying during the day.

Resources: Uworld, ccscases.com, UpToDate for a few topics I was weak in and Biostats reviewed from multiple sources.

Preparation timeline:

1. Week 1: Focused entirely on CCS, since it was new thing for me. Read thru uworld practice cases and finished 50 cases from ccscases.com, did the rest of ccs cases in the weeks in between.

2. Week 2-5: Did uworld system based, reviewing my weak points like hypo/hypernatremia, acid-base imbalances, etc from UpToDate and Step up to medicine

3. Week 6: Reviewed Biostats from step 1 first aid and my biostats notes from step 1 & medical school Self-assessments, reviewing mistakes and read the step 1 rapid review section of First aid

My take from all of this

· Compared to my other steps, I used a more focused approached here, working extensively on topics I had felt weak with during CK. I would suggest fixing your weak areas as you proceed through the systems, instead of waiting till the end, when burnout is high and capacity to learn is low.

· Don’t stretch urself with too many resources, uworld and ccscases.com are the key, use anything else that helps u cover ur weaknesses best.

· Focus a lot on biostats and ccs, it seems they really help raise your score

· Most importantly find something that really motivates you to study, step 3 often feels like a drag. So channel that anger, frustration and disappointments of life in a productive manner.

· From my experience having step 3, definitely helps you get a couple of interviews.