USMLE Step 1 Exam Day – A Comprehensive guide

USMLE Step 1 Exam Day – A Comprehensive guide

It’s here! Oh my God! Should I postpone the exam? These are normal thoughts you will have in the days that lead to your USMLE Step 1 exam day. Winning over these thoughts and having a well-planned strategy will help you get that 240+ on Step 1. So, here’s a complete USMLE Step 1 Exam day guide for you.

First things first, remember you have prepared the best you could. There is nothing that you would have done differently. This entire prep period has been physically emotionally and mentally challenging for you. But now is not the time for self-pity. It’s show time baby!

A Quick recap of USMLE step 1 exam day

• Total of 8 hours
    • 7 hours: 7 x 60-minute blocks with around 40 questions each
    • 45 minutes: Break time
    • 15 minutes: Introductory tutorial (You can skip this and add the 15 minutes to your break time!)
  • The last block may not be 40 questions. (You can have as little as 28 questions on the last block)

What should I study the day before the exam?

Try not to study anything new the day prior to your USMLE Step 1 exam day. If at all, do the rapid review section of First Aid.

Make sure to watch this video explaining the test center

What to wear on the USMLE Step 1 exam day?

They have tighter security checks than airports at the test center. So, use these tips and save your precious break time!

Clothes to wear to the USMLE Step 1 exam day

A simple t-shirt and jeans with minimum pockets.

• Round neck T-shirt without pockets .
    • Collars need to be turned up and checked every time you check in and out.
    • Sleeves need to be rolled down.
    • Pockets will have to be turned out every time.
  • Pants without pockets.
  • Socks and Shoes/ Slippers as comfortable.
  • Do not put on any accessories (Earrings, Necklace, Watch)
  • It may get cold in the testing room at times. Carry a jacket, and take it in with you only if you feel really cold .

Remember, more clothing = more checking

What food should I carry to the testing center on exam day?

• Carry foods high in sugar (not if you are diabetic!) for quick energy. Your brain is going to need all of that. Snickers, Milkshakes, etc.
  • Carry whatever you are comfortable with.
  • Do NOT try new foods you have never tried before (Redbull, etc)
  • Carry caffeine but use in moderation May produce anxiety. Also, coffee is a diuretic.
  • Carry foods like sandwiches for your lunch . You don’t want it to be too heavy.
  • Make sure you carry enough .

Should I carry USMLE First Aid with me?

Absolutely NOT! For one, you don’t have time. And you can never predict what question is going to pop up next.

Go through the 15-minute tutorial the day before your USMLE Step 1 exam day

The 15-minute tutorial can be skipped on the test. This means that you get an extra 15 minutes of break time.

Add it to 45 minutes, that makes 60 minutes break time!

Find the tutorial here.

The tutorial on the exam is the SAME as the one that can be found on the link above. So, on your USMLE Step 1 exam day, just check if your headphones are working . That’s it! Skip the rest of the tutorial.

Plan your blocks and breaks in advance

• You can take a break after the block is completed .
  • Take breaks as per your convenience.
  • For example 1st block – 5-minute break – 2nd block – 5-minute break – 3rd block – 5-minute break – 4th block – 10-minute break (Lunch) – 5thblock – 10-minute break – 6th block – 10-minute break – 7th
  • The remaining 15 minutes are back up since most of the 5-minute breaks end up getting a bit prolonged and for any unforeseen delays.

A few more tips

• Check Scheduling Permit and Passport the day before. You absolutely need these.
  • Reach the exam center at least 30 mins before start time

Here’s what a typical prometric testing center looks like

• At the Prometric center, you will be given a locker to store your belongings.
  • Keep your water and food bag in the common area that will be provided. It does not make sense to keep opening and closing the locker each time.
  • Locate the toilet before you go into the exam area. Always a good idea to use the toilet before you start.

Tips for the last block on the exam

Remember, it is going to be extremely tempting to rush into the last block. Resist that urge!

Use whatever break time you have left before you go in for the last block. Take time and compose yourself for the last one.

Congratulations! You have just completed one of the most challenging exams of your life.