Usmle step 2ck experience

USMLE STEP 2CK EXPERIENCE
SCORE 261
Step 1 246, 2 years back.
YOG 2016.
Hi my name is Abdelaziz , A Sudanese IMG (OIU BATCH 23)
Resources used
UW offline 2017
As we all know this is the most important resource for step 2ck, it contains a huge amount of very
important, critical and lifesaving information’s and topics, That’s why I decided to take my time on
mastering every single line in UW, I knew this is the way for me to get a good score but most
importantly, this will affect every single patient I see in my future life!.
So why we all use UW but we get different scores! , here are some tips on how to master UW:

1. TAKE YOUR TIME, please don’t rush, not more than 30 q per day for 1st run and not more than 50-
    60 q per day for second run.
  2. Don’t do UW by system, do the IM , paediatrics and Surgery questions separately. I started doing
    UW by system but the bad thing about that is the systems will seem so long and so boring, also
    jumping from IM to Peds to surgery was somehow confusing. Doing these subjects each alone will
    help you use other sources to add on UW like Kaplan , CMS , pestana surgery notes etc .
  3. For those who are done with step 1 , you will see so many qs that you can just answer it with step
    1 knowledge , I was just rushing on these Qs coz I knew the answer but this was so wrong , a single Q
    in UW may give you enough Information’s to answers 10 different questions ! so even those easy Qs
    you have to read them carefully.
  4. Know why the other answers are wrong, this is actually very crucial to get a good score as the
    exam is all about knowing the difference btw the choices !!! Knowing what is that little thing that is
    different btw two similar diseases, MAKE IT CLEAR.
  5. Familiarise yourself with the questions and the scenarios, if by the end of a Question you did not
    know the Diagnosis then you have to read the Scenario again after reading the explanation to know
    what are the keys and hints and how they were presented, this will train you to get the hints in the
    exam questions easily and quickly.
  6. Master the lab values as you go through the questions, this will save you time during the exam! .
  7. For offline users, please categorize the questions to groups of similar diseases, I can’t stress
    enough on that !!!. Reading about three similar diseases at the same time will make you notice the
    little differences BTW them, but this is so much harder if you did them separately. I have categorized
    all the systems and I will post it at
    system from UW looking for new diseases and topics. For surgery its very important do the 1st
    chapters of trauma , orthopaedics and pre and postop. For obgyn I did pelvic relaxation, pelvic pain
    and STDs(GYN) , medical complications in pregnancy and perinatal infections(obs) .
    UP TO DATE
    Use it if some topic seems deficient in UW(although you will most probably find the rest of
    information’s in another question in UW). Its also very useful when doing CMS.
    CMS
    I did it for all subjects after mastering UW and filtering Kaplan, I did it as an assessment for the
    overall subjects, I recommend to do them all.
    Carlos pestana surgery notes
    After Mastering UW surgery Qs and doing the 1st 3 chapters from Kaplan , solve the questions of
    pestana , and then see the explanations, its very important to do it ! and you will enjoy reading it
    also as all surgeons are trying to be funny :slight_smile: .
    Biostats and Epidemiology
    FA + Kaplan notes(filter) + 2 youtube videos (biostat part 1 and 2) is more than enough.
    Drug Ads and Research abstracts
    There is no source for these type of questions , but don’t worry they are not that hard
    All you have to do is to have a good biostats and epidemiology and you will do fine on them.
    Ethics > 100 cases for Conrad
    NBMEs
    I did nbme 1 and 2 after my 2nd read of UW(by system , no categorization, no added sources)
    My scores were 228 in nbme 1 and 230s in nbme 2.
    Then I did UW for the 3rd time with the same stupid way > nbme 4 > 244.
    At this time I was so tired and bored but not satisfied by the scores yet , this was the hardest time
    during my preparation as I thought there is no way to get a better score , then I took a brake without
    reading for 2 weeks just thinking what may be the problem and analysing my wrong answers. And I
    did the last read by subjects(IM,peds…) and the UW questions by categorization and added those
    resources and 4 months later I did the exam! even without doing an assessment I felt ready for the
    st time ! and satisfied with the amount of knowledge I have got .
    Exam day
    9 hours of stress and tension and fear !! but it will just pass like 2 hours !!!
    Build your stamina , the 1st 4 blocks are easy in terms of concentrations , but the last ones you will
    feel like swimming against the current ! but it will also pass . overall the exam was not hard for me
    coz I have spent 2 years on UW on and off ! but NEVER UNDERESTIMATE CK as it will be like hell for
    you if you did not prepare well .
    Finally
    I hope you guys get a better score inshallah and please remember me in your prayers.