Usmle step1 experience 251 by dr asad khan

USMLE STEP1 EXPERIENCE 251
BY DR ASAD KHAN
All the praises & thanks be to ALLAH.
Target score: 245+
Real deal : 251
Though a bit late but sharing this as a thank you note and for guidance and motivation. It’s time to contribute back as there are thousands out there needing guidance, like me at one stage. So here it is.
I will share my brief experience now and will write a detailed post for in depth guidance for people at different stages in the preparation.
Dedicated study time: 7 to 8 months
Resources used:

1. Kaplan Notes: for all subjects except anatomy and pathology
  2. Pathoma for pathology
  3. Kaplan video lectures for most subjects
  4. First Aid: 4 reads
  5. Uw : twice
  6. Others: shelf notes for anatomy, Conrads 100 cases of ethics, short Snell for anatomy
    Study pattern:
    I started with Kaplan notes along with video lectures. This combination takes time but helps you master the basics. So it’s worth the time.
    Next I started FA & studied the Pathology sections from pathoma. I would refer to Kaplan wherever needed.
    Then ist round of UW in Tutor, Non timed mode. I’d do one block per day on average & took extensive notes. Finished with a performance of 84%. During this time, I’d also study a few pages from FA, not daily but whenever time allowed.
    Then finished the FA portion that was left after completing the UW.
    2nd round of UW: random timed mode. Took 17 days. Around 95%
    Then 2 thorough reads of FA along with the UW notes and revised the UW flash cards.
    Shelf notes & Conrads ethics cases: in the last week.
    Not much Googling, no B&B, no anki , No study partners.
    Self Assessments:
    NBME 13: (before starting UW ist read) 24 mistakes
    NBME 16: after completing UW ist read) 20 mistakes
    NBME 19: 21 mistakes
    I took the following assessments in the last 40 days
    NBME 20: 24 mistakes
    NBME 21: 21 mistakes
    NBME 22: 30 misakes
    NBME 23: 32 mistakes
    NBME 18 (13 days out):258
    UWSA2 (10 days out): 254
    UWSA1 (3 days out): 254
    Free 120 (3 days out): 84%
    Exam day:
    I took my test at Prometric testing center Islamabad, Pakistan. I had a lot of stuff saved to revise on the last day but only managed to listen the heart sounds and murmurs. I slept for 7 good hours, offered the prayer, took a light breakfast and reached the prometric center well before the starting time.
    I finished every block comfortably with 8 to 15 minutes to spare, during which I reviewed the unattempted & marked questions. I skipped the tutorial and managed my break in between. got a good number of questions from every subject/system.
    Post Exam period: I was relaxed most of the time & experienced no anxiety or nightmares because I knew I had performed well. The result day was a memorable one and that particular jiffy was breathtaking.
    Thanks tothe Almighty ALLAH, then my Parents for all the support and help, then my USMLE family ( Abdul wali, Mansour & many others) and to this amazing group.
    Final message: stay consistent and dedicated, enjoy it, keep your resources simple and limited and pray for your success. Do ask for help & guidance but don’t follow anyone’s schedule/pattern because you never will. Stay in your own orbit & Follow yourself because you are a champion of the future.
    Let me know if anyone has got any query or want me to talk over anything in specific in the upcoming guidance post.