Very very important for MRCP Exam & Practical Purposes.
Best Guess Organisms for Pneumonia
- Young aged patients pneumonia, think=> #Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
(#Viral infections are also recognised as important causes of CAP in children and their contribution to adult CAP is increasingly recognised.)
- Older aged pt pneumonia, think=> #Haemophilus influenzae.
- Post Influenza Pneumonia=> #Staphylococcus Aureus
- Pneumonia with Herpes Labialis / Rusty Sputum=> #Streptococcuspneumoniae
- Pneumonia, post honeymoon /travel with Cold shower/local outbreaks centred on contaminated cooling towers in hotels=> #Legionellapneumophila.
6.Alcoholic Patient, pneumonia ± Red Current jelly sputum => #Klebseilla
7.Recent foreign travel,
a. MERS-coronavirus (Middle East),
b. melioidosis caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei (South-east Asia and northern Australia) and
c. endemic fungal infection (North, Central or South America)
- Pneumonia with Lung Abscess => Staph, Klebseilla, Pseudomonas.
- pneumonia with Rapid onset High fever Pleuritic chest pain Herpes labialis ----> Streptococcus pneumoniae
- Pnemonia with Ear/cns/skin/anaemia(haemolytic)/ heart/Renal /GIT complications… ==> Mycoplasma
- Pneumonia with #Low Na, #Low pulse (relative Bradycardia), #Lymphopenic Leucocytosis, #LFT derranged, #Low ALP, Flu Like S/S, Urine RME positive for Protein-blood-myoglobin, GIT-ANVD(anorexia, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoe)=== > #Legionella.
★★…Last MRCP Part 2 Exam, 3 Q,
Last two part 1 Exam, 5 Q.
© Dr. Ataullah, #Aid_to_MRCP
Reference: Davidson, Oxford, Question Bank