What advice would you give someone who would like to help someone who is addicted to cocaine?
Most drug users deny that they have a problem, and push family and friends away. You may feel helpless, frustrated, and unable to cope. You can get help by contacting a local drug abuse treatment center. You should also do the following:
- Establish appropriate limits and rules with your loved one who may be addicted.
- Don’t change your actions to suit the needs of the user.
- Don’t cover up for the user when he or she fails to meet responsibilities at work, school, or home.
- Don’t make excuses for the addict’s drug use.
- Don’t lend money.
- Encourage the user to seek help.
- Get additional information and help from Al-Anon or Nar-Anon.