What are the treatments for hypothermia?
The first steps when treating hypothermia are:
- Move to a warm, dry location
- Remove wet clothing and replace with dry clothing
- Cover up with a jacket, hat, and blanket
When hypothermia is more severe, doctors may also need to:
- Insert an IV into your vein and pump warm fluids into your body
- Give you warm oxygen through a mask or breathing tube
- Use a machine that warms your blood and pumps it back into your body
What are the side effects of the treatment for hypothermia?
Hypothermia treatment has no side effects. If you are treated in the hospital, your doctor will monitor you to make sure your body temperature reaches a normal level.
What are the complications associated with hypothermia?
If left untreated, hypothermia can lead to cardiac arrest and death.