3 Tips to avoid the biggest mistake candidates make in PLAB 2

3 Tips to avoid the biggest mistake candidates make in PLAB 2
TIP 1: Listen attentively to your patient
Focus on the interaction with patients. Part 2 is not a test of your knowledge, your knowledge has been assessed in Part 1
Examiners are looking for real interaction with the simulated patient.
In real life, when you listen to someone, you use verbal and nonverbal communication to acknowledge the person. this could be nodding or saying hmm.
If you listen to your patient, you will pick on cues in their story. You don’t need to worry what to say next or remember stock phrases.
When candidates use learned stock phrases, these can sound out of place. It comes across insincere and odd if you repeat them out of context.
When you pay attention and listen to your patient, ask follow-up questions you will find the consultation flows smoothly. You need to show examiners you have good interpersonal skills.

TIP 2: Start your consultation with confidence
It seems odd in a routine consultation when candidates ask patient ‘May I ask you some questions?’ Some candidates might even add ‘Is that OK?’ Patients expect to be asked questions when they see a doctor. Most patients are happy to be asked questions and cooperate.
Avoid asking questions such as “May I ask you some questions” that sounds odd and is going to waste your time. You might even lose marks if examiners notice you are using learned stock phrases. If patients come to see you, it can generally be implied they have sought consultation with you.
If you need to examine a patient, then it is appropriate to check implied consent before proceeding. “I’d like to examine your chest, is that okay?”

My last TIP 3: Signpost your question
Signposting is a meta communication skill. Tell what you will talk about next. At the start of this video, I mentioned I will give you 3 tips that was an example of signposting.

When you signpost, you indicate the patient what you are going to do next so they can anticipate your questions.

If you move on to ask about lifestyle habits from symptoms, signposting will inform the patient to be prepared for questions about their lifestyle.

Examiners have noticed candidates use expressions such as ‘May I ask you a personal question?’ followed by ‘Do you drink alcohol?’ or ‘Do you smoke?’

It seems odd when asked that way. This might cause a patient to feel uneasy because it implies there is something to be embarrassed about by highlighting their drinking alcohol or smoking as personal. A natural way of signposting is saying “It will be helpful for me to understand your lifestyle habits. Do you drink alcohol?”

Let’s recap the 3 Top tips
#1 listen attentively to your patient
#2 start your consultation with confidence
#3 signpost your questions