40-year-old airplane pilot is hospitalized with shortness of breath.
He experienced fever, chills, and myalgias for several days prior to his
breathing problems. He has returned from the Far East, where he visited
Singapore and Hong Kong. He is found to be hypoxic, and chest x-ray
shows diffuse opacification of both lung fields. Sputum and blood cultures
are negative. Rapid testing for influenza A and B are also negative. Which
of the following is the most important next step in management?
- a. Begin treatment with amantadine
- b. Respiratory isolation for coronavirus infection
- c. Treatment for acute bacterial pneumonia
- d. High resolution CT scan
- e. Obtain ventilation-perfusion scan