Books not to be missed during MBBS

Hello all,

Following are some books that will provide immense help with exam. Keeping in mind that you just go through the big book (lets say Guyton Physio) once or twice and review and memorize a smaller book (like Firdous). Again, it is extremely important to know at a earlier stage that what do you want to do after MBBS and get geared up accordingly.

1. First Aid for USMLE Step 1.
    First Aid, as the name suggest is for USMLE step 1. It covers superficial anatomy, embryology, and good deal of patho-physiology. The most beautiful thing about this book is that, when I appeared in FCPS 1 (surgery), there was not a single question out of this book. Same goes for USMLE Step 1 as well. It will be a great help if you have finished this already in MBBS (3rd year onwards).

2. Deja review series.
    This series is my personal favorite. It is exam oriented and can seriously bump up your marks. People use this kind of books even for FRCS. Various subjects are available. I felt Biochemistry and Pharmacology were the ones that I needed the most. Do go through these books if you can.

Both of these books are available for a review on amazon.com, and you can buy these from the book store in front of dmc (Winco books, they deliver as well ).

1. Solve loads of MCQs side by side, dont wait for the end of the year. You will get the idea what to cover more thoroughly as common exam topics.

2. Kaplan DVD lectures.
    These are actually great (if you are lecture type). These are such good teachers. They will knock the subject in your head (and you will start hating your own teachers). They are divided in step1 and step 2, you can buy whatever subject you want. These DVDs are also available from the same shop. In a college where people like Farhat Jafri are professors, you are pretty much on your own. Better do these.

When I was in first year MBBS I asked a demonstrator in Anatomy, what and how to read? She said “I read Gray’s anatomy and got a distinction, you should read from Gray’s”, and that looser actually made me bought that damn book that I hardly used as it is not meant for undergrads. Also the lectures were so poor that they hardly gave anything to students. At the end of the day, you go home end up learning whole book (like Firdous). If I have to do MBBS again then I will rely on books like high yield series and “made ridiculously easy series”. Read to be a good doctor, you will clear the exam any way!!!