Dr: Jaish Kinger USMLE Step 1 Experience, (268)

Dr: Jaish Kinger

USMLE Step 1 Experience, (268).

To be really honest I was a very average student, but I had in mind from the very beginning that I have to do USMLE, I Started studying Kaplan without any proper guidance during my final year, But couldn’t take advantage of it because of the tough schedule overall.

I went US after the final year for electives and CS.

After coming back I started studying Kaplan lecture notes with video lectures and FA, I was being lazy and stuck in so many different activities, It took me so long to complete them.

I started Uworld in the Month of October 2018, and that was it, I started studying seriously but that seriously was also 5-6 hours per day 😃

I used to give each question a very significant amount of time while reading that topic from FA as well and also used to annotate anything worth writing.

I completed first pass in September 2019, then I started doing assessments after that, things were going smoothly, my first online assessment was UWSA 1 (249) right after first pass, I got a decent score, I was confident that I’ll improve definitely, I started focusing on Wrongs, and my main focus during that time to focus on my weak areas, and was also doing assessments in between.

My seniors suggested me to do New NBMEs first because the old NBME questions will repeat in New ones, and your score will be biased, my second online assessment was NBME 22, It was in mid-November, NBME 24 online in Mid December, and in Mid January NBME 21 online, My All online NBME scores were in the high 40s, but they kept on improving and I was pretty much Satisfied. I did 20 and 23 Offline 30 mistakes in each.

Most of the questions in new NBMEs were out of context, but now Uworld has covered them by adding new questions regularly.

NBME 15- 15 mistakes

NBME16- 12 mistakes

NBME 19- 11 mistakes

Amboss online Assessment-262

I planned my exam at the end of March,

and in 2nd week of March I did UWSA 2, I got 254, and I took the Exam date of March 26.

and then the pandemic hits, the whole world stopped moving, and I was wandering cluelessly, what should I do, Prometric Centre was itself not sure when will center reopens, and we all were stuck badly.

but I didn’t lose hope, I started teaching students FA and also started doing UWorld Second round (96%), which I completed in July, thanks to Uworld for giving me 4.5 months of free subscription and I think that was the turning point, My grip on FA was getting stronger and stronger, I was just waiting for centers to reopen so that I can appear in My exam, Prometric Cancelled my exam Date at least 8 times after March 2020.

Finally, the Day came when Prometric Announced that the Centers will open on August 3rd, I took the exam date of August 7th. that was it, I couldn’t wait anymore, I just wanted to go there and get rid of the most shittiest exam

I did assessments after July 15, Free120 (90%), Free NBME 17 online (260).

Real Deal August 7, (268).

I was confident and very happy on Exam day, the reason was quite Obvious, Finally, my Exam is happening and I am going to be free after that 😃

Exam Day performance is very important, how you keep things in tandem and the way you handle it, is truly an Art, thanks to my friends, we never took any Exam in our life that much seriously, we never let any academic thing to get on our Nerves.

For me Exam was quite doable, much easier than new NBMEs, you just need to stay calm and compose throughout your exam day, no doubt exam is lengthy, but I always advise others trust your own instinct, your mind will always take you to the right direction, if you have any doubt, mark it and move on, see that question in the end, make a priority list of questions you marked on your rough paper sheet, and please don’t overthink on any question, that’s why people say overthinking is injurious to your health.

Sources I followed, Kaplan Lecture notes with video Lectures, FA 2018, Pathoma, Shelf notes, and Biostats Review and obviously google.

My main source was Uworld, FA, and NBMEs, I learned a lot from NBMEs as well, by giving each NBME one week at least, I was slow in reading that’s why It took me too long.

The story is quite simple, you just need to stay focused all throughout your journey, there will be phases, you’ll be overwhelmed and annoyed, take a break, and start again.

Motivation, dedication and the quest to learn more will help you to improve and learn.

• Construct your basic concepts and fundamentals strong so that you are able to solve questions

• If you ask me what helped you achieve that score? I will reply learn, revise, and integrate.

• Take all the NBMEs even if offline. Trust me almost all the perspectives in which the exam asks questions are present in it.

I wish you all best of luck. Hope you all do well on your exam. And do let me know how you did on your exam and how this experience helped you. I’ll be really glad to know that you performed well.

This experience is Dedicated to all the average students.