Due to PLAB 2 exam cancellation, some of you might be disappointed,upset and some may feel blank and don’t know what to do next

Hello everyone,
Due to PLAB 2 exam cancellation, some of you might be disappointed,upset and some may feel blank and don’t know what to do next.
I am really sorry for this unpredictable situation :pensive:. We can’t change it but we can spend this opportunity usefully.
Here are some ideas I can think about what you can do while you are waiting the exam date.

(1)Try to fill the clinical gap
-I know some of PLAB candidates are fresh graduates but some might have many clinical gaps between house officer job and PLAB exam.
-As far as I am concerned, clinical gaps are not important for PLAB exam but when you apply GMC registration and find jobs, it plays an important role.
Therefore , do something to show in your CV.
So what can you do to fill the gap ?

(A) Working as a medical officer in some private hospitals
(B) Working as a GP

-By doing clinical practice, you will get not only clinical skills but also salary to support yourself .:blush:
-I know it’s not easy to join clinical practice because of COVID 19 issues.However you can join
© Tele-consultations / clinical consultations via online ect depending on your preferences.
-Telecommunications become very popular nowadays and you will get experience regarding telephone conversation ect.

***If you want to join the clinical practice, make sure you get a reliable reference from that hospital or organization. Unless you can show a reference regarding that job, it wouldn’t be accepted by the TRUST or the GMC.
References can be any responsible person from the organization (MS ,AMS, MD or even HR manager/ line manager)
Make sure you get their work email addresses (not personal email, gmail or yahoo ect) when you resign the job. Ask them nicely that can they be your reference when you apply GMC registration or NHS job. If they allow, you can use their work / official email address .
However, don’t forget to let them know ahead when you actually apply GMC registration or jobs.If they don’t check the mails, you won’t get a response from the GMC or HR.

(D) Tutoring medical lectures or english lessons (OET/ IELTS) via online
-As teaching is the best way of learning, you can revise medical knowledge by teaching others and get teaching experiences.
-If you are a part of the teaching organization, make sure you get a reference and try to get a feedback form from your students (these will be a good evidence of your teaching skills later.)

(E) Doing as a volunteer
-There are many charity groups and volunteering organizations especially during this pandemic , you can join them too (eg. Charity clinic , Quarantine centers ect ).
-You will get an experience as working as a team and also know how to manage in pandemic situations.
-You can fill these experiences in your CV well.

(2) Study for MRCP, MRCS or MRCPH

-If you have already decided the specialty that you want to practice, you can study for the particular exam.
-If you pass some parts of these exams, you can fill the gap by showing the certificates.
-There are many online classes for these exams so that you can join and study easily.

(3) Attending online classes
-You can attend many online classes depending on your preferences.
-WCEA ,Edx and WHO ects have many free and paid online classes.
-If you can get a certificate, it would be better to show as an evidence

(4) Spending time with your family
-I know this sounds strange but when we join the job in the foreign country, we would not get much opportunities to stay with family.
-So, make sure that you have happy moments with your beloved ones.
-try to cook and enjoy many delicious local foods and dishes :yum: ( I am sure you will definitely miss those when you arrive at the foreign country)
-spend time by doing your favourite pastime or find some new interesting hobbies ( for me, I want to learn playing a guitar😅)

So, they are just my personal opinions and please let me know if you come up with better ideas what we can do during this period.
New ideas are warmly welcomed