“Excellency in Astigmatism Correction, Challenging situation”

My Third CASE ON Christmas Day; a gift as I PROMISSED to my residents and fellows all over the world by the second post of series of 3 scheduled posts as shown down

titled:

“Excellency in Astigmatism Correction, Challenging situation”

TODAY second POST as scheduled (Titled ; Safety for premium vision results)

A female patient 28 years old came to my clinic for vision correction and spectacles free life.

Her refraction was:

Rt. Eye - 9.00 / -3.5 astigmatism and Lt. Eye -7.75 / 6.00 astigmatism.

I did a pentacam to exclude Keratoconus, then biometry to make sure that the ACD is with the proper depth.

My SAFTY choice was using TORIC ICL from STAARSURGICAL to give the patient the best premium vision post operative and this what we achieved.

So My Tips for this case:

1- Keratoconus MUST be excluded in high myopia with high astigmatism

2- NOT recommended to use Corneal refractive surgery in these cases; especially in young females even with acceptable corneal thickness because you will going to weak the corneal biocompatibility.ALWAYS CHOOSE SAFETY. (Because it does depend only about the corneal thickness, but how much you are going to ablate the cornea).

3- PROPER METICULOUS of pre-operative refraction is THE SUCCESS KEY for POST OPERATIVE REFRACTION RESULTS.

4- ACD MUST be MORE than 3.2mm from the corneal surface and MORE than 2.8 mm from the corneal endothelium.

5- Always give the patient the information that we may or may need to have TOUCH UP CORNEAL LASER CORRECTION IF WE FACED WITH RESIDUALS.