I have complied interview questions below

Based on several requests, I have complied interview questions below. This is neither a complete list nor will you be asked all the questions. Interview is more like conversation. So, you may have sub questions pertaining to your main answers. I complied this list based on my residency interviews, internet search, feedback I received from while training candidates for interviews and medical students I worked with. If you have any additional questions to add to this pool, please feel free to add it in the comment section. Together, you can make a bigger question pool and you be more prepared.

1. Tell me about yourself.
  2. Why do you want Internal Medicine? (or other specialty)
  3. Tell me about your time management skills.
  4. What do you want to do after residency? How do you see yourself after 5 years from now? Do you want to do fellowship?
  5. Tell me about your interpersonal skills.
  6. How would you describe your decision-making style?
  7. Tell me about you which is not mentioned in your CV.
  8. Give me an example to show your perseverance or how do I know you can show initiative and are willing to work?
  9. What is your opinion about medical research? Do you want to explore the research field? Tell me about your previous research experience. (if you have research in your CV) Do you have any publications/ have you ever made any presentations before a professional group?
  10. What are your strengths? We have many good applicants. Why should we choose you? Or what do you feel you could add to our program?
  11. We all have weaknesses. What are your weaknesses?
  12. What would you like to know about our program?
  13. What have you learned about yourself from previous jobs?
  14. Tell me about your medical education.
  15. Tell me more about your previous clinical experience in Internal Medicine (or any other fields)
  16. Tell me about your experience with the USMLE exam(s)? (if candidate has so-so score(s) or failed attempts)
  17. Have you ever worked in a medical ICU?
  18. Tell me about your clinical experience in US (Elaborate on your USCE)
  19. Have you ever taught medical students? (as a resident, you are not required to teach med students. But it is a nice quality to have)
  20. What books have you read lately? Tell me about (book, article).
  21. Describe the most difficult decision you have ever had to make. How did you go about it?
  22. Describe the worst or most disappointing clinical experience you’ve had so far.
  23. What will you do if you don’t match in internal Medicine? (or other fields)
  24. Do you have any beliefs or convictions that might interfere with your willingness to deal with the kind of clinical situations you are likely to be presented with in residency training? (Usually asked if program director fears religious beliefs may prevent applicant from performing abortions, birth control, etc.)?
  25. What do you do to cope with stress?
  26. Have you held any leadership roles? Elaborate.
  27. What are you looking for in a training program? What factors would lead you to rank a program very highly?
  28. What factors would lead you to lower your ranking of a program?
  29. What kind of personality traits do you find most difficult to deal with in coworkers?
  30. What challenges do you foresee that will potentially affect this specialty in the next ten years?
  31. What kind of patient do you find it most difficult to relate to? What tactics would you use to establish optimal rapport with such a patient?
  32. What motivates you as a physician? Something which has helped you all this time?
  33. If by chance, you had not become a doctor, what profession would you have chosen?
  34. What difference did you see in medical practices here as compared to your medical school?
  35. Do you see any problems managing a professional and personal life?
  36. Are you prepared for the rigors of residency?
  37. Tell me one thing in which you are the best?
  38. How do you handle conflict?
  39. You graduated from a foreign medical school. What do you think are the differences between medical care there and in the US? Do you think you will have difficulty in adjusting to the US healthcare system?
  40. Tell me about a patient encounter that stimulated your thinking about medical career.
  41. How do you spend free time? What are your interests outside of medicine?
  42. Say you work for 12 hours. At the end 12 hours, what are the factors that will make you feel that the day is great.