I have taken up MD Anaesthesia in one of the peripheral AIIMS

Respected seniors kindly help.
I have taken up MD Anaesthesia in one of the peripheral AIIMS. It’s been 3 days but I’ve not been comfortable with the subject yet. I feel out of place most of the times. I’ve wanted to do MD Pediatrics / MD Medicine but took up Anesthesia since it was AIIMS. Will anaesthesia get better as time passes by ? Should I prepare for the upcoming Ini CET ? Kindly help. It’s very depressing and scary that I might be stuck with a branch that I don’t actually like.

Hi buddy…

I am JR3 Anesthesiology and critical care medicine here at IMS, BHU…

I can relate with you when I joined here…

I was very fond of medicine, not only MD GEN MED or any other medicinal branch but any thing where there clinical application of medicine, the art of making diagnosis, treating patients etc…

I was disheartened when I didn’t get MD Gen med… Instead of waiting for DNB counseling and going fr DNB, I opted for ANESTHESIOLOGY after so much discussion with seniors etc.

Initially I too didn’t liked the OT culture… But gradually I got used to it…

We were blessed that here at BHU we manage the 2 major Icu’s which we have and also the covid ICU…

And we are posted quite often in ICU.

Also we used to get posted in General emergency along with MEDICINE and SURGERY people…

So the clinical skill gradually started developing… Also the add on was doing different procedures whethere it ICD, Tracheostomy, managing difficult airway, arterial line, cvp, drains, usg assessment etc etc…

Same goes for OT… In OT usually things are stable but whnvr an emergency arises then u have to use medicinal skill only…

Now trust me I am in literally love with this subject… Specially the critical care medicine part…

Managing patients keeps us propelling to studying medicine…

Medicine can’t just be restricted to MD General Medicine…

It’s an art… Which is everywhere…

The best part with my branch is that although mortality in ICU or in any emergency is more relatively, but the feeling u get whn u save a dying patient with the help of you emergency skills is just amazing… U get instant result of eat u apply…

And this COVID has just boosted the opportunity in the field of Anaesthesia and critical care medicine…

We get many referrals from derma, obgy, radiotherapy etc for managing ABG, any emergency of theirs etc… And its very satisfying as well as rewarding also…

MD ANANESTHESIOLOGY n CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE is the branch of future.

We know how much it is flourishing in other countries.

In fact the more our country develops this branch will prosper…

Most of us actually don’t know th importance of this branch… Anaesthesia caders almost all the branches…

Radiotherapy ppl need us for brachytherapy, Psychiatry ppl need us for ECT , Gastro ppl for sedative anaesthesia for foreign body removal, UGI, colonoscopy etc…

So wat I will suggest u is to give it a time, u r doing it from a good Institute. U must b having good infra… U will definitely start liking this Branch… Medicine is thr in OT, ICU… Be clinical while managing…

All this nonsense of dream branch is bullcrap. You tend to like your branch as you grow, my father never wanted to be an ortho, he wanted to be md medicine, my mom never wanted to be an anasthetist but both of them now love thier branch, every branch whhther you like it or not, is beautiful and full of excitement, so plz you are my senior, top ranker may be, but sir keep on persuing it and be the best!