I’m 4.5 years post injury and back to playing sports

I’m 4.5 years post injury and back to playing sports. It took me 3 years and 11 months to be ready to play. I had some set backs and some additional external factors around my injury that I also had to work with.

My journey was a bit longer and every recovery is different. The depth of injury is different, our bodies are different and for me personally I got some poor guidance from a younger physical therapist that hurt my progress and knee more so had do more to unravel a gigantic mess in my knee.

Nonetheless, it happened and it took longer and now know that it’s okay for it to take as long as we need to recover. There are a lot of components involved-emotional, mental, healing, physical, etc.

Hang in there! You all are doing great and just wanted to say keep fighting the good fight!

So true! It took me 7 years to finally get my leg straight. It’s not an easy surgery AT ALL! (I should mention that I have autoimmune issues, so I’m thinking it contributed to my lengthy issues…apparently I manufacture scar tissue like crazy!)

Thanks for this. I really needed to read this. I’m 11 months after surgery. I was starting to thinking there’s something wrong with me for still feeling pain.

I am 16 months out and got out skiing today for the third time. Had a set back last time out in December and a month later after some additional physio for a small tear on my calf I’m good to go again.

Certainly not ready to take on anything that takes the skis off the snow but great to get out again. I’m sitting here icing both ACL’s and I’m sure I’ll be doing this for a while following ski days.

Can’t wait to rip it up again I must admit but I’ll have to wait another year or so for that are my thoughts.

As long as we are doing what we love, scaling the intensity down a bit isn’t a bad thing.

Keep working on the challenges and get out there and do it!

Thanks for this. We all need to hear this!!

im 2 years post op and Quad still small and dont get muscles