I reckon everyone is already aware of the terrible news of cancelling all PLAB2 Exams this year

I reckon everyone is already aware of the terrible news of cancelling all PLAB2 Exams this year. I can’t even begin to understand how frustrating this can be for the people eagerly waiting for the exam and much more to those whose exams have been previously postponed due to COVID19.

Now the question comes- what should you do this year!!!

Well I can’t speak for others but I can lay out some possibilities which I would have considered one of these if I was in your shoes(academically) –

1. Prepare and book a seat for Membership exams(whichever suits you best). Do the membership exams at least one part, by this you can optimize the lost months and also you will have good points added to the portfolio.

2. If your IELTS/OET is gonna expire this year, book it and get it done meanwhile.(Please check with GMC cause it looks like there is a potential chance of extending the validity)

3. Consider doing different courses like BLS,ALS, BSS(Basic Surgical Skill), Basic Clinical skill, Clinical Teaching courses or whatever suits your career plan.

4. Try to get fair share of knowledge regarding Research methodology /QI project/ Audit and try to get involved in these sort of things which will be a major booster for your portfolio.

I would have considered doing these for the rest of the year… What about you!!

Best of luck!!!

Amiya Ahsan
Surgical Fellow(CT1)
BSUH NHS Trust