I'm pretty sure that everyone out there in the clinical World would have faced this delicate situation during internship or residency

Hmm…okay, I’m pretty sure that everyone out there in the clinical World would have faced this delicate situation during internship or residency. A lot of vulnerabilities are exposed during such precarious moments on either side. Let me break it down for you guys.
In this particular scenario just because she is the patient’s mother doesn’t mean she has to donate blood. A mother is always looked upon as a symbol of endless love and sacrifice. We carry this notion that a mother should do everything for their kids and anything less is taken forward to demean her as a mother…but why? Ain’t she a human with her own wishes and desires?
She has every right to say no and to express what she feels. She also wishes the best for her child. We need to understand that it is totally fine if someone doesn’t want to donate blood. It could be that she is scared to donate or apprehensive of seeing blood or she might just not want to. That doesn’t mean she loves her kid any lesser.
The free will to donate remains independently with each and every human being. Each blood donor will need to sign an informed consent that they, in their full senses decide to donate blood voluntarily and free of cost without expecting anything else in return other than the sheer joy and satisfaction of saving many lives through your blood.
Also, we must always be in a position to empathize with another human, respect and honor their decision, counsel and guide them in the right path. After all, blood donation is a noble act. We must always strive to uphold the act of blood donation at the highest order possible forever