Is DNB preferable to MD/MS in the present scenario?

DNB & MD/MS ARE EQUIVALENT AS FAR AS THE DEGREES ARE CONCERNED, PARTICULARLY WHEN YOU ARE TRYING FOR JOB/PROMOTION IN THE LONG RUN.

AS I’VE STATED IN MY EARLIER POSTS, DNB REGISTRATION IS POSSIBLY EASIER TO GET THAN M.D/M.S, BUT IS HARDER TO PASS!THE ADVANTAGE IS THAT ALL DNB COURSES ARE RECOGNISED ALLOVER INDIA, WHILE ALL M.D/M.S COURSES ARE NOT RECOGNISED IN ALL STATES.

SO IF YOU ARE GETTING DNB IN A GOOD HOSPITAL IN YOUR OWN CITY OR ELSEWHERE, IN A BRANCH THAT YOU WANT, PLEASE TAKE IT UP INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR M.D/M.S!

I JUST POSTED AN AD FROM YASHODA SUPERSPECIALITY HOSPITAL ABOUT DNB, A FEW DAYS BACK.YOU CAN FIND OUT ABOUT OTHER RECOGNISED HOSPITALS FROM THE DNB WEBSITE:
www.natboard.nic.in

I don’t agree with your argument about DNB versus M.D/M.S, but that doesn’t mean at all, that I disrespect M.D/M.S!After all, I myself am M.D Medicine & have been a PG teacher & an Examiner for the same in Bombay University till I retired, so I know the quality of Training & Examination of the same.

Till recently, DNB board was allowing M.D/M.S candidates to simultaneously appear for DNB as well, without even writing a separate Thesis/Dissertation.For a short span of time, till recently, they had stopped the Major Teaching Hospitals from enrolling DNB candidates, if they were conducting M.D/M.S courses.

Now that rule has been changed since August 2005.So if there are PG Teachers as well as adequate facilities to train DNB students, in addition to M.D/M.S students, the Major Teaching Hospitals can do so, provided that the 1:1 ratio between teacher:student is maintained.

This new rule is advantageous to our PG students, who have not got admission through All India PG-MEE or State Level PGM-CET.Any seat which is unfilled or has fallen vacant by someone’s leaving, after the cutoff date of 31.5. 2006, which is given by M.C.I, can therefore be filled up by a DNB student in that branch.It is equally good for the concerned hospitals, who get that many working hands!

Both M.D/M.S & DNB courses are considered equivalent for jobs, promotions, admission to further studies like Superspecialities etc & have specific guidelines about postings, rotations in allied branches, thesis, log-book & so on.They are inspected by M.C.I & DNB board from time to time to see if the rules are followed properly by the concerned hospitals.

I am stating these things as far as major teaching hospitals are concerned, as I have seen these things myself.I have seen many excellent Private Hospitals allover India, where good coaching/ training is given for DNB, Medicine & its Specialities /Superspecialities. I am sure that the same applies for Surgical branches too.

So, lets not blame any hospital simply because its a Private Hospital!One cannot generalise such statements, though of course, there maybe black sheep everywhere, in public hospitals as well as private hospitals.After all, basic human nature remains the same everywhere!